What other Toyota engines can I swap for a 22R(5-spd.)

4X4_Toyota_tryin'
0

Asked by 4X4_Toyota_tryin' Dec 24, 2006 at 01:42 AM about the Toyota Pickup

Engine is 1981-1984 I think. -22R                                     Has 5 speed transmission                                              Was just wondering what other engines would work with that '81-'84 Toyota 5 speed tranny.                                                Engine to transmission adapters are very expensive new and can't find used anywhere.                                                        But I am a machinist if you have any ideas.                          Thank you very much for your time!

LouB
11,580

TT, this is a question that needs to be answered by a dealer. They should be able to tell you all compatible Toyota engines for that tranny. If you can produce adapters however you might have a lucrative little side business! Here however in an online FAQ that deals with a lot of your questions and may be a good starting point for you. Good luck! http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/toyotadiesel/

Dan McCaig
215

there is a straight six that will bolt right up to the tranny and motor mounts it is from the supra i think, I forget the motor designation but check out forums they will tell you more

Laddie Hickson
85

the 22RE 4cyl. and 3VZ 6cyl. were stock in the 89-94 models and i know each had a 5 speed tranny option so i'm sure either of those would prolly work if you want to stay with a toyota truck engine. btw that inline 6 supra engine wont fit unless you cut into the firewall.

awb_taco
0

the 22re was for 89-94 models, its a 2.4L 4 cyl. besides the 3L V6 there are also several diesel options from the 88-92 land-cruisers, such as the 4 cyl 3L and the 2Lii-t, a turbo charged 2.4 L. all of these engines are bolt ons, i dont know about manual to auto or visa versa