blown head gasket and timing belt

Matt Fowley
35

Asked by Matt Dec 18, 2009 at 07:42 PM about the Audi A6

hey i bought my audi a6 about 4 months ago with 83 k it now has 87k and i think it has a blown head. the exaust is thick white, my antifreeze is brown, my oil is watery and milky under the cap. i stoped driving it to prevent any damage. is this deff the head gasket? and i have to do the timing bel soon anyway so if it is i might as well do it at the same time right? how much do you think this will cost me guys. parts = labor ? thanks

George Miyerov
15

honestly speaking audi's are a bitch and a half to work on so if u looking to fix those problems its deff gonna hurt ur pockets....but how do u know the headgasket went does your car over heat???

auditech16
60

what size engine do you have? some 2.7turbo engines had trouble with the breather system plugging up causing smoke from the exhaust.more noticible on cold days due to the moisture in the crankcase would freeze and cause suction.also check that your oil cooler has not internally failed and mixing oil with the coolant.i have seen this before!good luck!

Matt Fowley
35

its actually wasn't the head gasket, because of the cold weather the pcv valve froze and because of that the oil was being burned in the turbos causeing the thick smoke. thanks guys for the help it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought,

Michnikats
25

https://secure.steelseal.com/index.php/t2b is great stuff with a 100% guarantee. The other site is a mechanic of 44 years that will answer any and all questions free of charge. He is also on youtube.com just type in his name and it will bring up all of his mechanic videos... he is extremely good.. : ) No I don't know him but i've done what he has said and shown me and they worked easily... : )

garageman
925

The engine oil coolers have been problematic on these cars and can cause the issues you are seeing,that would be the first and easiest to check before going in too deep.Use some Dawn dish detergent to flush out the cooling system,there is a block drain located at the rear of the oil pan joint,by the subframe,it is an 8mm Allen head fastener,and sort of hidden into a hole so you will need to search for this,the acsess is from the bottom straight up in this hole.plese be aware that if the coolant has not been flushed on this car the block drain may be plugged with some sediment.,just so you know.To rule out a head gasket there are companies that make testing kits. That have a fluid that is reactive with combustion gases,and it will change color in the presence of said gas.so looks like you have some work to do.

45,675

Check in at Audiworld.com and Audizine.com for tips on the care and feeding of your A6.