window won't roll up

Matt_435
0

Asked by Matt_435 Jan 19, 2013 at 02:41 PM about the Buick Riviera

Yesterday my driver window rolled down like normal, but wouldn't come back up. The switch makes a clicking sound when pushed for window down, but not up. Is there a way to manually get my window up until I have the $ to replace the motor or switch? Or is there a more simple fix?

DavidH25

You are going to have to pop the door panel off to get it up, Or give it some Viagra. Unless there is enough glass sticking up you can grasp it with your hands, do not put pliers on it. the glass will break. If you can grasp it, wiggle it back and forth and pull up, it might come up, but then it may not stay Buy some clips before you pop the panel.

45,735

If it's a bad switch, you can electrically disconnect the switch and jumper out the contacts. The switch reverses the polarity to the motor. You can also check the continuity of the switch while you have it out.

Jason Zane
2,905

what year?? if it is like my 1989 with the switches on the center column, take off the shifter plastic frame(use a plastic scraper to pry). next take off the window switch assembly(4 screws upside-down.) one could be hard to get to. after removing the assembly, the plastic piece that pushes down on the switch wears out. try using epoxy or something to make it stickout. the piece got hammered in flat.

Nich Cartella
0

I once had a 97 Taurus and all you had to do was push the up button on the window control & kick about 16' below the lock / 12' above the red reflector at the same time. It sounds crazy but, it worked. Please give it a shot and let me know!