Sign in | Register | My account |

Wireing problem, could catch fire, to help you out.

Xtechee
0

Asked by Xtechee Aug 25, 2013 at 03:49 PM about the Buick Regal

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

I just had a wireing problem with my 92 regal.  The symptom is that the battery goes dead in about 2 days.  The problem is that the Pink/black wire that goes to the alternator I terminal is shorted to the 8 aug Big Red Battery lead that connects to the alternator DC output post.  This makes the alternator draw 500ma all the time.  The problem is that the insulation on the wires in these cars becomes very soft, almost like putty, when exposed to engine oil, power steering mineral oil, and heat.  The heat comes from the exhaust manifold, right under the coil pack.  The big red lead melted into the two little 20aug ground wires, and the pink/black and the Tan wires.  If the ground wires had made a good connection, the car would have burnt up.  BIG FIREs possible with this car.  I went to the wrecking yard to see about getting part of the harness, and I found the same thing happening, only not as bad as mine yet.  I do wash the engine compartment when I wash the car at the car wash, as I know that engine oil and oily gunk buildup can catch fire under the right conditions.  My car is of course 21 years old, and has been driven contineously since new.  BeWare.
MIke

5 Answers

Xtechee
0

The problem states above will make the car so it won't start, as the battery will be almost dead after a couple of days or so. If you have changed the battery, alternator, starter, and you are going nuts trying to find out why the battery goes dead, you might remove the alternator and coil pack with mounting bracket. (disconnect the negative battery terminal first). Then trace the wire loom that goes to the alternator, take a close look at the loom where it passes by the exhaust manifold. Peel the black wire loom from the wires and take a good close look with a flashlight. You will need to peel the 4 wires apart like peeling a banana. Some heatshrink butt splices work fine. MIke

Xtechee
0

This regal is a 3800cc V6. Vin L. MIke

judge_roy
Not Active

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

1 out of 1 people think this is helpful.
Xtechee
0

The two ground wires are called G107 in the service book. One is the ground return for the Oxygen sensor and the ground for the ECU, both inside of the ECU. So if there has been a poor fuel economy, (like with my car, poor gas mileage), or odd, Check Engine lights, or engine problem code numbers that pertain to the Oxygen sensor, then this could be the problem. ECU problem codes like Oxygen sensor circuit open, or Oxygen sensor out of range.(greater than one volt on the Oxygen sensor lead. Mike

judge_roy
Not Active

get a NEW battery...clean the black 1/0awg cable as it attaches to chassis ground...wirebrush the lug--wirebrush the chassis...bolt together with the bolt and perform the parasitic draw test~

Your Answer

Related Questions

Regal
Looking for a Used Regal in your area?
CarGurus has 11,871 nationwide Regal listings starting at $1,995.
ZIP:

Search Buick Regal Questions

Buick Regal Experts

#1 Tom Demyan
Tom Demyan
Reputation 230
#2 John Saffrahn
John Saffrahn
Reputation 180
#3 tenspeed
tenspeed
Reputation 170
View All