Turbo

Nara O'Neil
65

Asked by Nara Aug 18, 2009 at 09:04 PM about the Nissan 300ZX

Ok so, please don't call me an idiot because it's not nice (have seen alot of nasty people on here, along with very nice ones too)
I've never owned or driven a turbo car, or an automatic which is quite strange, but I'm looking at a 300zx twin turbo and apart from knowing they cost a small fortune to run, I have another question which may sound stupid, but It seems worth it to know the answer...
If your cruising along in fourth or fifth gear at 110, does that change at all having turbo? I've heard something along the lines of it builds up pressure then releases it, wouldn't staying in one gear for several hours wreak havoc of some sort?
Any other hints or advice is very welcome

and of course
Thank you very much in advance
Nara

Mark Wigg
145

Um, no! As I'm sure you can imagine, if factory-made turbo cars of the 90's were that bad to drive then they never would have caught on. Turbo cars can be driven in exactly the same way as non-turbo cars. One difference you may notice is that the turbo car may take a little while to start making power once you put your foot down, which is called turbo lag. The only real issue with turbos which is similar to what you're asking is what happens when you've been thrashing the life out of the car and then want to stop. If the turbo has been working hard it can get extremely hot, and if you switch the engine off immediately it can cook the turbo, causing damage by overheating. This is why some modified turbo cars get fitted with turbo timers, to keep the engine running on a timer after you turn the key off, letting the turbo cool down.

Akhil Alex
5

It shouldn't cause any problems, although I'm not an expert. If you're paranoid about it, you can cruise in a high gear at low revs so that the turbos don't spool, and therefore don't build pressure. Turbos only release pressure when your foot lifts off the throttle, or if you're bouncing off of the fuel cut, and when they do this they do it safely. That's what blow off valves and wastegates are for.

Nara O'Neil
65

Thanks very much both of you, that clarified things quite well. Not really planning to thrash the car it's more for the looks than anything, although blow off valves are illegal here which is a shame, might have to find an alternative.

Akhil Alex
5

What in God's name...why are blow off valves illegal? Where do you even live? I don't see the reasoning behind that, blow off valves do nothing to increase emissions, and they're not loud enough to disturb the peace. Ugh, I hate traffic laws... It still won't matter though, your car will be fine. But to make sure, you may want to make an account on a Z32/Fairlady forum and ask some questions. Forums are your best friends, the guys on there know everything. Oh, props on never having owned a car with a slushbox haha. And have fun with the Z, I hear they're fun to drive.

Mark Wigg
145

I think you'll find that blow-off valves are only illegal if they vent to atmosphere. If the blow-off valve is plumbed back into the airbox, as in the factory setup of many cars, they are legal. That's certainly how it is in Australia, not sure where you are though.

Akhil Alex
5

I suppose what he said is true.

Nara O'Neil
65

Yeah New South Wales (Australia) has the wierdest laws possible, now I'm hoping that car has the right sort of turbo