How much horsepower?

David0
0

Asked by David0 Jan 12, 2007 at 11:36 PM about the Nissan 240SX

How much horsepower dose the stock engine have?

bovan
10,790

Yo David0-- If you have a 1989 or a 1990 you have 140 horsepower in you Nissan 240SX. From 1991 to 1998 it was 155 hp. Good luck from Bovan.

mike_nuts
35

how much does it cost for an sr20det swap?

Steven Anstoetter
45

Expect roughly 5k to have the motor in your car, and running... not always the cheapest route to go. You can have a low boost KA-T for much less that'll make as much power as a bolt on SR swap.

Chris Mirabito
15

but be expected to spend money on internal upgrades on the ka-t because the vast majority of ka's are beat to hell and over 150k.

Luis Millan
15

do a compression test and if the motor checks out ok a felpro head gasket and some arp headstuds will hold u fine under low boost. theres people doing well over 400hp on stock bottom end ka-t's w/ that setup. but stock n/a ka... expect to put down maybe 115hp on a good day.

Chris Mirabito
15

I concur. I just recently heard that you can buy crate KA's for roughly 2k from nissan. I cannot confirm but ive heard this from at least 2 sources, so KA-T's have become that much cheaper brand new.

Fred McClelland
2,125

or even better you can try to find a salvaged rb25det motor and put it in it haha

David Campman
135

i did a very inexpensive swap, my car and swap cost my 2500 that includes everything even fluids ,my car was 750 i bought a rwd sr20de and turboed it turbo parts from a sr20det were 425 that included turbo, manifold , jwt ecu , turbo elbow new aluminium radiator 160 clutch kit custom 6 puck sprung , 300 oem downpipe 25

Miguel Aveytia
65

Got mine done for alittle over 3.5k BLACTOP SR - 2300, Local Importer Exedy Stage 1 - 280 , Local shop Fluids - 100ish (oil, tranny, rear, coolant) Wire for gauges - 30 Gauges - boost, oil pressure, Water Temp - 250 Extra Couplers etc... Plus food, beer, illegal stuff, and gas Awesome swap tho, started on first turn. You can go WAY OVER 3.5k but then again my swap is not "COMPLETE" need a FMIC, New Heater Hoses, Thermostat, Electric Water Pump.... Then i can start to crank up boost.... My 2cents on KA-T. Great to do witha low mileage KA if ur not going to rebuild it... if ur gonna rebuild the KA, then think about a SR swap... took me a week to do with problems and doing the swap after work for 4-5 hours a day. With a Built KA, ur waiting about a month for machine work, assembly, parts.. etc... SR swap is ready to go, 7psi steady, with bolt ons u can break 225whp no problems. TO PROPERLY BUILD A KA, u will spend 5k on just the motor, then u have to adress tranny, etc. etc. Just do research, www.KA-t.org www.Zilvia.net www.240sxforums.com

Jose Hernandez
15

rb25 sounds fun!!!

Jordan Cailes
15

im currently completeing my SR20 swap, picked my 240 up for 700 bucks, im getting the SR with engine, transmission, ecu, harness, intake, mounting equipment, for about 1500, so cheap because i know i guy hahaha, but also i need a few things such as front mount intercooler, downpipe, exhaust, intake filter for the turbo, upgrading turbo to a T28, run at 1 bar (14psi), need some gauges to monitor heat, boost, etc. and upgrade the fuel systme, 555cc injectors, i have a walboro fuelpump, all of that just so im running a comfortable hp sr reliably

Josh Yanay
25

Stock is only about 140 i would not recommend sr20 do something different like a ca18det or a ka-t. Alot of people put the KA-T down but it puts down more torque than the sr and has all forged internals (excluding the pistons) and a cast iron block. Its a tank of a motor. I would recommend a turbo on it. But if you have the SOHC motor. (one cam shaft 89-91) is a bitch to find a turbo mani for.

Josh Yanay
25

Ka24e-t

Josh Yanay
25

also i forgot to mention it might turn out to be more work but every second person with a 240/ 91 and up silvia has a sr20. They are great motors i know 4 people with them ( big suprise) And know 1 person with a ca18det and one with a ka24e a couple with rb's

A Facebook user
35

Ha yeah. . .no. Nissan stopped making the long block when Nissan stopped using there 2.4 for the 240 and frontier. I have already attempted to even get a re manufactured one, won't happen. And I work at the Nissan dealership. Best way to go. SR. Thats it. Why argue with a motor that can take as much (if not more) of a beating than our stock KA? Why turbo a motor that A)wasn't meant for it or B) too old to care about? Nothing against the KA, I have used it in past season of autocrossing, BUT, it is extremely underpowered and not worth the money to constantly be fixing when over the top performance parts are bolted to it.

Jordan Cailes
15

nah im defeintly going SR20det, i can get the engine and everythign for 1500, and i can do the swap myself, it is more reliable than a KA-t and is much better than the CA-18

Joshua Kimmich
35

how much power are you looking for? if your looking for a nice street car the ka and do fine with the proper mods. it is a proven fact the ka can make 200hp for under or just about $1000. and thats just simply bolt ons and an engine management of some sort. and a 200hp car without boost is a completely different car thats instant power. and the ka is a pretty torquey motor.

Kyle Graves
5

Im calling BS to that... yeah thanks JWT ECUs are 595$ so you spent -125$ on turbo pieces....

Will Davies
115

Stock engine has 155 hp

David Campman
135

yea jwt ecus are $595 when you send them your core and have it freshly installed, you can also get a used jwt ecu and have it reprogrammed for 100$.... get your shit straight before you call bs.

Nick Lemarr
45

KA24DE has 110-120 at the wheels. I don't know about the KA24E.

Mannyson Dashiell
15

dude is that holset?

Mannyson Dashiell
15

I say if you want to be able to pull some great numbers go KA24DE-T holset hx35 - hx40, Nistune. 160lbs injects and e85

Bart Kloch
15

89-90 140 hp 91-98 155 hp

Matthew Michels
15

SR is most widely used because it holds a ton of boost with stock internals and it is lighter than the KA and sits farther back under the hood for better car balance.