Wy won't my 1997 Mazda Miata start?

ADude
25

Asked by ADude Jul 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM about the Mazda MAZDASPEED MX-5 Miata

I just changed the O2 sensors and it started and drove it around.  Then I disconnected the batter to reset the CEL and some sparks flew. Whe I went to start the engine I get clicking sounds, dash lights, radio works, but it won't turn over - what's up?  I replaced the 80A fuse incase I blew the circuit protector.

108,705

Battery is low on voltage, do you have a mutlimeter? What is the voltage? When you disconnected the battery, did you remove the negative or positive. Some sparking is normal.

ADude
25

Tom - Thanks so much. I don't have a multimeter ... but can get one. I think I tried to remove the positive first - couldn't see the indicators. Eventually I removed the negative. Would a jump start take care of this or is the low voltage a permanent problem with the battery? Thanks for your help. I just bought the car for my wife and am determined not to pay more in repairs than the car is worth so I am doing the work on my own to learn more about cars and keep the cost down. ADude