Getting ready to buy a 2003 Corvette or a 2004 Corvette? Both vettes are exactly the same color, features etc and they both have 36k miles. Is one better than other, any input on if the 03 is different than the 04 and which 1 I should buy (I like them both and no I can't afford both of them) Thanks

gs3061
10

Asked by gs3061 Apr 08, 2013 at 01:38 AM about the Chevrolet Corvette

49,855

Check in at some Corvette forums and ask the owners.

Tylander
365

03 to 04 is a carry-over year, so very little was changed. Your best bet is to flip a coin. I would personally prefer the newer one as all the bits and pieces are one year newer, but that doesn't always mean that they are in better condition.

Best Answer
DavidH25

http://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/..and http://forums.corvetteforum.com/ are a couple good enthusiast forums to look at like tenspeed suggested

DavidH25

Both only about 3,600 a year? Beware if one or the other has been in storage, because either they have been stored or driven very little. If the car was driven on Sunday sightseeing drives only, if it was driven at least once a week and driven until it was fully brought up to temperature and things like that, fine, cool. But if one or the other was just parked, and not mothballed properly that could lead to problems. Be prepared to buy tires, even if they look good with plenty of tread, a 10 year old tire may be unsafe

DavidH25

You ac tell the age of a tire. In the example shown DOT U2LL LMLR 5107 51 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year 07 Manufactured during 2007

gs3061
10

Thank you, The 03 was a once or twice a month driver, the 04 she drove on weekends and bought a 13 so getting rid of it. As for the tires the 03 has new front and about 70% rear, the 04 has new rear and about 70% on the front. Thanks again

CJ Michaels
655

well it sounds like since theyre both pretty much identical, go for the newer one, C5's had a bunch of build quality problems...like rattling hood, leaking battery, noisy fuel pump (which got better on later C5's), and the manual gearbox was known to chatter and be hard to get into gear

DavidH25

Excellent answer. Especially from a 5 year old. Seriously, that is an excellent answer

Two2go
5

My 2003 had 9800 miles on it when I purchased in 2011. I have driven it about 1,000 miles since with ZERO issues.

pauljay
65

If you have your heart set on buying a C5, then why don't your check each car's CarFax report first to see which one looks better in that regard. Personally, I'd like to see you buy a C6 (2005 or later). They are better cars in many respects and not much more expensive. Good Luck!

DavidH25

pauljay, I really like what you wrote there, excellent. I always push Carfax to the point I sound like I work for them, which I of course do not, When folks ask about private party sales I tell them that the $40 is money well spent, an item that can save a car buyer a great deal of heartache. I also advise them to demand it free if it is a dealer, they get cut rates from Carfax, but a single one time carfax is $40.

CJ Michaels
655

and David u have some good answers for a fighter jet

ParkerZ06
235

2003 was the 50th anniversary year, which may help if you decide to resale the car. The 2003 also has a special badge that may have more resale value. The 2004 was the last year of the C5 and most will treasure that because that may come with a few more refinements. the C5 registry can give you all the ins and outs of the two different years. If all else fails, photos, CARFAX, and any other resource you can find will definitely help.

Two2go
5

I own a 2003 with less than 12,000 miles, never had a problem of any kind. I'm all about low miles. Low miles and great condition = higher value.

ParkerZ06
235

Low m iles do equal higher value, unless you intend on keeping the car indefinitely. I recently purchased a low mile 2008 Corvette, with 29,000 on it. It looks great has great paint, interiorn and exterior, solid motor and transaxles and as usual needs tires. After I replace them she will be ready for some car shoes in the spring.

pauljay
65

ParkerZ06 is not correct. Lower mileage does mean higher value when you are ready to sell the car. His reply does not address your question since both cars being considered have identical mileage. The reminder of his reply is not relevant either.

ParkerZ06
235

The 2004 may bring you a couple hundred dollars more on resale and if you sell it later due to it being the last year of the C5 generation. You will have more collector value in the 2003 as this was the 50th anniversary and all cars came with anniversary badging. Both being equal I would go with the 2003.