Cooling Fan Problem

Ratpack
125

Asked by Ratpack May 15, 2010 at 08:29 PM about the Chevrolet Corvette

Our electric engine cooling fan comes on at cold start up and won't shut off unless I unplug the relay. The wiring gets very hot at the relay plug. Is the relay stuck in fan 'on' position?

Ratpack
125

Changed out both the Coolant Temp Sensor located in the front of intake manifold, under the throttle body and the Fan Relay ahead of the battery on the drivers side fender. Also replaced the Temp Switch on the passenger side head. She's running cooler and the Fan kicks on between 238*-240* in traffic and 190*-195* while cruising.

califcarson
4,935

Your thermostat switch may be bad, and will not shut off. I have a gable fan in my house, and I removed the thermocouple switch because it wears out and overheats the wiring causing fires. Not in my house. I have a switch I use. In my Corvette I have my electrical fans bypassing the relay to run when the ignition switch is on. It does not overheat the wires, or keep the car too cool. I have the motor built up to put out over 100 more horse power that stock and it runs hotter anyway. I have a 160 thermostat which on the freeway runs about there. In town it goes up to 180.