Is there a special oil filter wrench for the captiva

Hem998
0

Asked by Hem998 May 10, 2012 at 04:46 PM about the Chevrolet Captiva Sport

The oil filter is located right next to the exhaust pipe and in between an AC line that makes it ridiculously hard to
remove!  

mtmonarch
265

Did you try one of the seat-belt strap type filter wrenches? Those are the best as they'll clamp down on any filter and they can get into tight spaces. You can either turn them with a 3/4" wrench or insert a 1/2'' ratchet extension in the end of it if you don't have room for a wrench. I bought my Harley new 30 yrs. ago & when I went to change the oil for the first time, the filter was so tight that I had it about ripped in two trying to get it off, trying a filter wrench, and a screw driver. My friend had a strap wrench & it took it right off! He had two of them & gave me one and I've had it ever since. The best wrench out there! GOOD LUCK!

Matt_O
20

V6 engine: I bought a filter wrench that fits the base of the filter and cut off approx 3/4" from the top. The wrench just barley catches the base of the filter and turns it enough to get it off by hand. I tried a strap wrench and a special filter wrench and they don't work, no room to turn. Process drain sump (pan), have lunch and then work on filter change, the hot exhaust manifold makes filter change difficult. The PF 63 filter is long enough to make change difficult.