Are we still using LEAD for balancing weights? it's 2013 last time I checked.

judge_roy

Asked by judge_roy Mar 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM about the Acura MDX

Lead has been a proven poison to the human body since we stopped using lead pipes, yet in 1984 when I did
dynamic balancing on our special machine, attached lead weights to balance and spin round and round...it's 2013
now...what do we use? antimony? ceramic amalgum? this is not a stupid question...birdies will drink the lead
water and die.

49,795

It used to be all lead weights and steel rims. Many new cars have alloy rims and steel or zinc weights that stick on with double sided tape. The amount of lead in the atmosphere from weights is nothing compared to the lead added to gasoline before 1980.

49,795

I remember as a kid, melting down lead to make fishing weights. We also bit down on the commercially available split balls of lead to affix them to the fishing line. --- We also held mercury in our hands in high school science class and coated silver dimes with it. The dimes went back in our pockets to be carried around for days until it rubbed off and ended up in the families laundry.

Best Answer
judge_roy

mercurochrome---all red and gnarly lookin, in a rubber topped stopper bottle-

judge_roy

was a bacteria stopper in wartime as I recall seein'

49,795

I remember mercurochrome unless that was iodine. Paint the scrapes red and put a Band Aid on it.

judge_roy

horrible, poisonous mercury---mad as a hatter~