engine no power weak

juneo06
0

Asked by juneo06 Feb 01, 2010 at 01:27 AM about the Kia Sedona

i replaced tps already but when you press the gas pedal engine just droped down the power  will not accelerate

Mike Bonnell
6,135

A locked catalytic converter will cause this - Take a back pressure test to verify Take a fuel pressure test verify you have the proper volume and pressure to run the engine properly Good Luck

fixitman4
30

i have same problem on my 2003 Sedona but what does it mean to have a locked Cat ad what is the remedy. Mine is in the shop and I want to be prepared for surprises. My mechanic changed the spark plug and plenum gasget as routine maintainence after 100,000 miles . Car ran great than developed a whistle and sounded like air was escaping and majr loss of power on acceleation. Code said cylender five was not firing so changed the coil. no more whistle but power loss continued. he thought it migh have something to do with Cat but did not have the diagnostic tools to check it. Any help ould be appreciated as car as been good up to now.

Lofty77
30

Air Mass Meter i had the same thing happen and if it wasnt for a friend who put it on his computor i would have never known, also it cures problem,s in winter

Gary John
265

This sounds helpful, although my scantool did not see anything really out of whack, i'm gonna replace this with a known good one before i buy one. I'll let you know if this works.

Gary John
265

I should have mentioned this previously , but i also have a 99 kia van same engine same problem. 3.5 ltr. v6

Gary John
265

catalytic converter is not locked or plugged, Air flow meter is good, tps is good. I still have the same problem. It won,t accelerate past 70kms, the more i give it gas , the less power i have. shift points are long and slow and an intermittent misfire on cylinder 4. Probably from flooring it. Tuned it up, plugs,filters, and upper plenum gasket.( part of spark plug change as it is neccesary to remove the plenum to get at plugs in rear of engine. I even recorded live data from the engine and waveforms are all actually good. eg. Sensor values during drivecycle. Only thing i haven,t checked yet is fuel pressure. waiting for a fuel pressure guage. PSI should be about 40-45 at idle.

Christopher Taza
1,295

Those 3.5L sometimes have the PCM fail and sticks the ground for the coil, which ends up burning up the IFS (ignition failure sensor) and coils.

Gary John
265

no problems with any coils, the pcm hasn,t returned any faults with my scantool. Can a transmission sensor cause this lack of acceleration and or power?

Christopher Taza
1,295

What was fuel pressure at the rail? pull the vaccuum line off the regulator pressure should jump up. I've seen bad gas rust out the fuel tank and the metal then clog out the fuel filter. Van would run great till about 30 mph and then would fall flat on it's face.

Gary John
265

Eureka!! Found the problem with my 2002 kia sedona 3.5 , no power, idles great. no codes. (Timingbelt had jumped ONE TOOTH)_ caused this headache. Cams were still aligned but the crank was retarded one tooth. Not sure why the computer didn,t pick this up as chryslers do. All is well. any DIY'ers Make sure you apply 50lbs torque to the timing belt before With your pulley, then you release the tensioner. Failure to do this will kill your engine as the belt will fail and valves will impact on the pistons. FIY christopher the fuel was at an adequate flow. no gauge to check it properly but i released some fuel under pressure and got a good shot of gas. seemed pretty good to me anyway. Hope this helps. it did me.

Gary John
265

I just posted a comment on timing belt here somewhere. have you checked your timing carefully?