I am looking at Range Rovers and curious if it is wise to stay away from light/white leather interiors. I am worried about wear and it showing stains, graying, etc. and not holding up like dark/black seats. I love the look of the lighter colors, but need advice. Anyone that can shed light on this topic??

jillbecker
0

Asked by jillbecker Apr 21, 2013 at 06:18 PM about the Land Rover Range Rover

20,045

I would stay away from range rovers in general unless you enjoy spending lots and lots of money on repairs.

jillbecker
0

Thank you for your advice. Any suggestions on something similar that is more reliable?

20,045

I buy anything ford just because i prefer them and work on them. But you cant go wrong with honda or toyota products. Lexus suv's are very nice it would be comparable to the luxury you would expect with a range rover and a much better vehicle.

Michael Tutty
5,955

The top line Chevy Tahoe/Suburban is very luxurious and they are extremely reliable. The Cadillac Escalade is also extremely luxurious but because of complexity, it is not quite as bullet proof as the Tahoe. Still miles better than the Range Rover. Of course, who knows WHAT will happen to quality now that Rover is owned by Tata from India. Could be good, could be a disaster! Only time will tell on that score.

Lars Cats
3,675

Personally I wouldn't buy any American made car, then again I can afford to drive a European motor. Yes, Land Rover parts aren't cheap and labour costs are high but in my humble opinion it's driving in a different class altogether. I have driven and maintained Land Rovers (Series, Range Rover and Discovery 2) for years now and I've had no issues at all, the only people that appear to detract Land Rovers have no first hand experience at maintaining them and go to a dealership with every niggle. As for interior colours: leather is never much of an issue as long as you regularly feed it. Ignore it and it will go hard and tear. My '99 Disco has tan leather and there's nothing wring with it thanks to regular maintenance. The only Range Rover I'd steer well clear of is the P38A model, which was basically used as a testbed by BMW for all sorts of newfangled features and never really made it past the trial stage. If you want a reliable Range Rover you will need to get something old school with the carburetted 3.5 litre V8 or go all the way over to the L322 model.

Michael Tutty
5,955

The old 3.5 is a great engine, although I do know one person went through 3 of them in the first year of ownership. The cost of maintaining a Land Rover/Range Rover in North America is very high. Getting parts can sometimes be a challenge, too. Also, the quality is now an unknown quantity because of the change of ownership of the company. They are no longer owned by either Ford or BMW. Tata from India owns them now, so there is a learning curve in place. That is what makes me wonder about them. I do know the Tahoe from Chevrolet, along with the Cadillac Escalades, are proven in the market and very durable when given reasonable care. They are capable of extremely high mileages.