1999 Discovery 2 V8 4ltr is experiencing 'TOTAL' lack of power even in first gear and on inclines ??? In essence, there is NO power upon excelleration

THECOUNT
0

Asked by THECOUNT Apr 06, 2013 at 01:31 PM about the Land Rover Discovery Series II

total lack of 'power' when trying to excellerate even in first gear and especially on hils & inclines

49,595

My first thought is that the timing chain is loose and has jumped a link. I had a V8 Jeep that did that.

judge_roy

four GI's in a Jumpin' Jeep~ These V8 engines aren't too much different than an ordinary GM mill from what I've been told...also been told that an Oldsmobile engine and transmission are a 'bolt-in' retrofit for these...Land Rover gets a bad rap...probably earned it as the reputation of British engineering hits home. How could this be? are there like a ton of miles on this mill? wouldn't you start hearing the engine sounding like a can of marbles? we need an inspection to see of all is right stateside. THECOUNT---one, hahahahha~

Lars Cats
2,595

Check for vacuum leaks and get the fault codes read, that should be a start. Personally I'm thinking fuel problem (pressure or flow), most likely culprits would be pressure regulator and pump. If not that, the MAF sensor might have packed in...

You think this is helpful.