Blown Head Gasket

jeanstewart
0

Asked by jeanstewart Jan 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM about the Land Rover Discovery Series II

2003 Disc Landrover. 43,000 miles trouble wih  head gasket. Put  fluid in car per mechanic.  61,000 same problem again. Price quoted $3,300.00 to repair. Does it take a Doctor to repair this problem.?.  Is there a second solution to this problem. Purchased vehicle thinking i was  tough car, it is a wimp.

DavidH25

For $3,300 you can get a new engine, do NOT pay that for a head gasket, and if it only lasted 18,000 miles there is something else going on. Either he botched it the first time or let me guess..it overheats? And I'd also like to ask, what 'fluid' did he say to put in and where? Some sort of fix it in a can stop leak? And it IS a tough car

jazcg62
50

Disco's are tough as nails. If you put any kind of fluid in the coolant system you're an idiot. The mechanic was trying to make sure you came back to him after that "quick fix" ran out. But I agree with David just get a new engine.

DavidH25

Really, jaz. That shit will clog the heater core, thermostat, I forget the proper term, but the passageways in the heads and in the block for coolant, the entire water jacket. your mechanic is either dumb as a rock or a rip off or both

Best Answer
Lars Cats
2,405

The Land Rover engines tend to be fairly bulletproof provided they're properly maintained. Like all aluminium block engines they are very susceptible to damage from overheating. If there's any trouble with the head gasket have it replaced as sson as possible and have the cylinder head checked and, if required, surfaced. Never ever use any of those liquid stopgaps, as David already said stuff like that clogs up all the water passages in the engine and radiator and slowly (or in some cases very rapidly) ruins the cooling system finally leading to even more overheating, which in turn will ruin the engine. Those little cheap cans can lead to a tonne in expenses. I'd suggest flushing the cooling system a good few times then installing a good used engine and a new radiator. Remember: stop leak fluids are a mechanic's best friend, they are a surefire way to ensure you'll be back for way more expensive repairs than if it got fixed properly the first time...

jeanstewart
0

Thanks for the answer. I carried car to a auto repair shop for Landrover's. They told me to put a can of liquid stopgap in vehicle. That is when I had 43,000 on car. After market parts are cheap. Wy quotes from 3,300.00 to 2,800.00 for repair.

DavidH25

Yep Jean, see what Lars and I wrote, that stuff is ...well, no need to repeat it all

jeanstewart
0

Cheaper to sell car then repair. After market parts. Okay? car value is about 3,800.00. Repairr blown head gasket $3,300.00.

Lars Cats
2,405

Using original Land Rover parts is expensive, for example an original land rover water pump would be around $270 but a QH one would be closer to $85, but I'd still use original Land Rover given half a chance. Like I said you're probably looking at a new radiator and heater core thanks to the buildup of the leak sealer and a resurface of the cylinder heads. Get a new rad and heater core and cooling hoses and a good used engine and you're looking at pretty much the same price.

DavidH25

No no no $3,300 to put on a head gasket is way out of line. See my first answer Jean....but you are correct, and to borrow words from Lars they are bulletproof ans should go much longer than 61k miles

DavidH25

Listen to Lars, Jean

Lars Cats
2,405

Used engine would set you back around $1750 depending on the mileage. Add a bit for labour, a servicing kit, a new radiator and heater core and some hoses and it adds up to around $3000 all in. Resurfacing a cylinder head would cost you about $150 a head all in, you would still need to ensure that there is no warping of the engine due to overheating, do the servicing bit and replace the heater core and radiator and preferably the hoses, as well as cleaning all the built up leak sealer out of the engine or you'll be having the same problems again in no time.

Bob6789
0

Bullitproof and tuff as nails...and dont use stop leak? I have a 87 olds with a Buick 3.8 V6 with 402,000 miles on the original, never apart [exc. timing chain] engine, and it runs perfectly. I have put at least 5 cans stop leak in it over the 26 years that I have owned it....never have flushed the cooling system. I overheated it, temperature gauage pegged, for half an hour,towing a Chevy Blazer in the hills of California, over ten years ago. Now that is "Bullitproof!"

rochab77
40

@bob6789 funny you mention a buick, because thats where the Land Rover V8 originated. It was a buick design and in the 60's Land Rover acquired the rights and tooling to the engine. $3300 is way out of line. these engines are as simple as any small block Chevy. There are no timing belt or water pumps to remove to get the heads off like on an overhead cam engine. Simply remove the upper and lower intake, and exhaust manifolds along with the A/C compressor and bracket that holds it for the drivers side, and the alternator and belt tensioner bracket along with the idler pulley. Its a pushrod engine so the heads come right off after that.