My Optra's clutch has gone out.Anyone else has had this problem?

Philippe Lemieux
155

Asked by Philippe Sep 15, 2009 at 09:48 PM about the Chevrolet Optra

It completely failed.The master cylinder inside the transmission blew out and it soaked the clutch with oil.New clutch and all the labour costs a fortune.Mine has 60 000 km on the clock, I was wondering if anybody had a similar experience with theirs?

Ahmed Hassen
115

I had a similar experience also, but my optra was only 21 000 km, and when the clutch was gone, first gear blew as I was starting to move, and it was gonna cost me a fortune, but as this was covered by the warranty, I paid nothing. But it seems to be a frequent issue with this car.

mikestone
10

i had the same thing @ 114k,the slave went and soaked the clutch.just cost me the parts as i fixed it myself.

chev_boy
0

I've had this prob and mine was only at like 60,000km. now i'm only at like 130,000 km and now it revs going into reverse and when it doesnt it makes a loud noise under the car and shifting is really hard and downshifting is like impossible cuz it takes like ten tries to get it into gear!!!!

Lo
0

I just had a problem with my optra also....The master cylinder....My clutch was like butter...No way I could get it into gear...No warning signs, just all of a sudden, couldn't get it into gear...At the garage they didn't say I needed a new clutch, they changed the fluids, the cylinder...Cost 225$....I had just put 125$ to change a seal on the oil transmission pan ( the little seal cost 30$...tiny piece...and then oil 2 litres....another 30 plus the labour )...Now this garage tells me that the slave is moving and that's not normal....Probably one more thing to change...It's a 2004 and has 105 000K....Anybody looking for a car?

Endive
30

I got the same issue with it!!! @92000. the garage changed the clutch tube, but after 80km, it did the same. no clutch anymore... clutch like butter... could not change any gear... except when the car was stopped... towing for the second time... the new garage purge the system. it seems to work, but not sure about that! I will try today...

foxy82
40

everything seemed to be working good until i was making my trip from ontario to newfoundland. I wrent to shift and felt it was tough to shift gears. the time we got to Quebec i couldnt shift at all. Brought it to garage and it ended up i had air in the lines or something. they thought they had fixed it but no. We ended up having to stop almost every couple hours to bleed the air out. Still not exactly sure what it is gonna hopefully find out in next few days. If anyone else has had same issue and found out what it is let me know?

You think this is helpful.
Endive
30

Again, clutch became like butter in high way!!!! i needed to be towed again... I paid 200$ to get my car back to montreal ;-(. and arriving to montreal, i discover that i just had to pump the clutch many times with the car started, and the clutch become hard again... argh... my car is at the garage... i let you know

Jean-François Gratton
15

2006 Optra LT wagon, same problem at about 80000K, oil from the master cylinder, seal failed and oil soaked the clutch, had it fixed, got a new clutch in the process all on warranty but I had to pay for the tow and the car rental, GMAC refused to refund me... and now at 150000 the clutch is dying again for the second time but I'm not sure if this time it isnt just reagular wear... 70000k on the clutch.

khandurivineet
0

I was facing same problem and had to go for the Clutch overhaul as Odo reading was close to 1 Lac .. Master Cylinder/Clutch Bearing assembly with Slave cylinder and Clutch plates along with the pressure plates of course.. Not sure if this was unnecessary ! But its smooth now, though the pressure is not as it was in the earlier one.. not sure if its good or bad :-(