did the 1983 trans-am come out with a 350 or 305

foster7777
135

Asked by foster7777 Mar 01, 2013 at 11:48 AM about the Pontiac Trans Am

ok so i got a  1983 pontiac trans-am the guy i got it frome told me it had a 305 with the ram
air hood  but my dad thinks it has a 350 i was just wourding if the came out with a 350 and
look at the hatch on it the guy told me it was one of a kind i can not find one

1969chevy
10

305ci and I donnot know about the hatch... If it is truly one of a kind I'd restore it

foster7777
135

thats what i planed to do but i onley got about 1200$ in the car lol

foster7777
135

well i bought a 1984 olds deta 88 traded it for a 97 ranger and traded it for the trans am and fell in love with it but what do you thank the hatch is worth he told me it came out of the factory like that

49,595

Find a Trans Am forum. Find out if it's OEM or aftermarket - you should be able to tell by looking at it. Forum members will know how much the hatch is worth.

Michael McGrail
4,985

The hatch is a fiberglass piece. You can currently get a hatch similiar to that made by a company called HTP. It was not a stock piece. Use your search engine and search for 'firebird fiberglass hatch'. As far as the engine. 305 was not an option for 1983, but if the engine has ever been swapped it is possible that it could be a 350. They look identical from the outside. If you get the code off of the block, it will tell you what it is.

foster7777
135

they guy has paper work that says that the hatch is frome the factory and i can not find any on line

foster7777
135

the car is all stock outher than the cd player

jamesdparker
30

Sorry, but that hatch is not factory. If it is, it is the first one I have ever seen, and that would be a surprise.

johnny1995
75

The hatch is factory however not available until 1989. There was a limited number of GTA trans ams in 1989 that came with this as an option called "notchback". Personally I find the look awful but others seem to like it probably because it is different. 305ci was the only V8 option in 1983 trans ams. There was a 305 crossfire injection available in the Recaro special addition though. Sorry but your trans am is not something special due to the notchback that was certainly added sometime after 1989.

taownermobileal
0

i own a 83' ta it came with 305 cui , if u dont no the difference,a 350 cui exhaust, the plugs are on top of the exhaust, u can see them. the 305cui are under the exhaust and hard to see,much less to change especially the no. 8 plug