My 1994 chevrolet corsica's brake light

1dontask
0

Asked by 1dontask Aug 14, 2009 at 01:54 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet Corsica

MY brake light an ABS light stays on.  Fortunately was able to get a sticker.  However, does anyone know what could be wrong.  I did purchase brake pads but now I'm stuck w/them because the brake pads are fine.  Any suggestions?

Jon Romero
1,645

Is your car equipped with traction control? if so, is that light illuminated? I have a feeling it is your wheel bearing. jack up just the front axle, throw jack stands under it obviously, and with one hand at 12 o' clock and the other at 6 lightly apply pressure in with one hand and out with the other then switch directions (rocking the tire back and forth). If there is no axial movement in that respect than the wheel bearing is more likelier than not fine. Check both front wheels. Post your results, id be curious if that's it.

Danny Wang
2,505

First off, as long as the red brake light does not go off on the dashboard, you should be able to safely drive the car WITHOUT the added ABS to assist. I would think you would be able to get a sticker since not all cars have ABS. An easy check, not sure how accurate would be to check the continuity at the wheel speed sensors at each wheel and if you can spin the wheel and see if you get any AC voltage reading. If those results occurs, it could be an open somewhere in the circuit or somewhere in the ABS module and then in that case either consult professional assistance or bring to the shop to diagnose.

tinytim
35

well ive owned a few corsicas in my day and every one that i had the stupid light stayed on and i just drove the piss out of them with no problem but if you want to fix it you can try pulling the sensor off the wheel and take a piece of fine grit sand paper and sand the metal part that makes contact with the hub some times they get corrosion on them and it makes the light come on

Jon Romero
1,645

The brake warning lamp illuminates for numerous reasons, not necessarily an abs fault. It will illuminate for something as minute as a low fluid condition in the brake master cylinder. When the lamp illuminates it is because the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) senses a fault from one of its many inputs. Start with the fluid reservoir level, and if you're not very mechanically inclined than take it to your local Chevy dealer for further diagnosis. (The stereo-typical Mike the Mechanic is not going to have a DMM, let alone a GMM, that is going to measure ac sine waves just lying around the house to test wheel speed sensors, Anonymous.) To continue, if you are referring to your vehicle registration renewal sticker, than you needn't worry about a brake warning lamp being illuminated in the I/P(Instrument Panel) because all the test facility is searching for are faults in conjunction with the emissions control system in your vehicle.

Justin Miles
35

First off you might want to make sure you have the correct size tires on your car if one is different than the other that could be your problem