HEATER FAN MAKING NOISE

amgould
0

Asked by amgould Dec 18, 2012 at 03:04 PM about the 2005 Nissan X-Trail

The fan motor will work fine then it starts to make a God awful sound.  If you turn it off and on a couple of times or so it stops.  Any ideas.

49,945

The blower motor has bushings at both ends of the motor shaft. The bushings are porous and hold oil. The oil gets used up, the bushings are dry and they wear out. What you are hearing is the motor shaft wobbling around in the bushings. Replace the blower motor. Oil the bushings before installing and the new motor should last the life of the car.

mikeq
30

Dont bother with oiling bushings. You either need to replace thé fan unit or have the bushings replaced with sealed bearings on your existing fan blower motor. You will find info on how to donc this on the Australians x trail forum. Just Google x trail fan noise. I replaced mine at the starter of déc. Works perfectly ever since, including at -30 celcius.