Off-Road Capacity

DaninKenya
0

Asked by DaninKenya Apr 27, 2009 at 06:28 AM about the 2002 Nissan X-Trail

I live in Nairobi, Kenya - most of my driving is city, but I am out and about, and often over rough areas, and my work brings me to the bush as well a few times a year.  How does the Xtrail - a 2002 vintage - stack up in off-road driving - desert sand or mud, or just plain rough terrain?

Bragi Sigurkarlsson
55

Having driven this car in rough terrain in Iceland i would not recommend it for serious offroading or sand, or even anything remotly offroad-ish I would much rather recommend a nissan patrol or a nissan landcruiser for some comfort and ability to go offroad the xtrail has a "fake" 4wd system that is not like in the other two i just mentinoed, constantly in 4wd ( the patrol can be kept in RWD but manually) it uses compuiters to send power from front to rear. and uses a hydrolic clutch. but that does not make the xtrail full 50-50% 4wd. it is not built like an off roader. It uses the same chassis platform as the nissan primera and nissan almera. under no surcumstances a real 4WD vehicle.

James Leicher
35

Bragi is correct ,i own a 2005 ti Xtrail,It is great for dirt roads and bit of mud,I once took it in to a feild on my brother inlaws farm and it went through the dry creeks ok but had to go slow and get out of car to move large rocks out of the way.while we driving slow I did not see a rock in the centre on track .It was hiding in the long grass.Bang drove over it .the car rode on the rock with on the exchust pipe so it bent and was toutching the prop shaft as it has a clearence of 10mm from it .I go with the patrol ,Toyota Prado is also good but pricy though but very relibile l dieselis the go.