Car won't start after shuting it off, if I let it sit for awhile then it will start.Is it the PCM?

Beau
25

Asked by Beau May 13, 2008 at 11:56 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

ITS a 1997 LS

24,945

It could be a lot of things, hard to say without diagnosis.

Larry Thibert
960

who cares...if it starts drive the damm thing...or better yet roll the dice,replace the pcm.....and maybe whatever else comes to your head...hope this helps

Anthony Atchison
35

It could be the pcm or any of the many on board computers. If a computer is under hood and heats up the resistance in the wire increases and the computer communication will not allow the vehical to start. also check all electrical connections and start the car and give it the good ol wiggle test!

Jeff Tillman
35

my pontiac bonneville did the same thing, it turned otu to be the crank angle sensor

A Facebook user
45

Absolutely, 100% your car needs head gaskets if the PCM doesn't fix the problem. Had the exact same problem myself.

papa

bad crank sensor.marty we are here to help out people not to bs them.

jerrydizon
80

dont replace the pcm yet.....when warm the temperature (operating at normal) is about 600 degress plus....the PCM is link to the coolant sensor that senses the temperature range (i.e. cold start to normal operating temperature )...the resistance of coolant sensor is 5,600 - 2,400 ohms at cold temperature and 300-200 ohms at warm (600 deg F) ..try to check it by removing it and use a VOM to check its resistance rang at cold and hot...use cigarret lighter ti simulate heat and prong it with VOM. The thing I want you to watch out is the resistance value when its hot ( as hot as boiling point of coolant fluid)...if is too low or almost zero in value, which i pressumed, replace it.....if you have a thermometer it will be great....be careful not to burn your self....

travmyfld
0

If you find out let me know my 1996 is doing the same thing.