my coolant fan dose not work and its not the fuse or the fan motor what could be the problem?

FOX
0

Asked by Mar 27, 2007 at 06:28 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

bovan
12,860

Hello FOX-- The two problems you are having with your 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier are probably electrical and probablyrelated. Without a hands-on diagnosis, I would say you have a problem that should be looked at by a professional. Electrical problems are hard to handle for the amateur mechanic, but a competent pro should be able to pinpoint the problem. Good luck from Bovan.

Aaron Cook
135

i had the same problem with my 99' and i had to run a hot wire from the fuse box in the dash to the fuse box under the hood...there is i think three cubes in there and i think its the one closest to the front...that has to be removed and the hot wire has to plug into one of the little tabs...the hard part is finding a hot terminal in the interior fuse box

Daz Dougan
75

hi mate on the old cav's there is 2 sensors.1 for the temp guage, thats a small sonsor with 1 wire going to it.the other will be on the thermostat housing usually situated on the cylinder head...above the gear box...u can tell cos there will be a couple of large coolnt pipes going to it..anyway the sensor is quiet big with 2 wires going to it that.you can try pulling the connector of the sonsor and using a bit of wire and with the ignition on bridge the wiring connector.ifthe fan cuts in then pro fault will be the sensor......make sure its the right sensor or ask someone before doing as bridging wires for the management system can cause probs mate

Larry Thibert
1,690

had similar problem..and it is close to what daz has to say, only mine ended up being a corroded wire in the main wiring harness...just peel the harness open ,starting near the sensor and work your way toward the firewall.It is about 2 feet up the harness....hopefully this helps....

Ty Elliott
885

with my cavalier, i had a coil by my fan that had gotten unwravelled, which stopped my fan from turning