Engine Pinging

aries1964
25

Asked by aries1964 Feb 12, 2008 at 04:40 AM about the 1996 Citroen AX

Hi, My Citroen AX 1996 1.0 liter engine. When I accelerate & shift to 3rd gear I can hear a pinging like knock sound. What would be the problem? They advise me to switch to 95octane petrol since I'm using a 91octane. Please advise

casper271
4,105

yes, switch, that will help. I would also do a complete tune up. best of luck.

Best Answer
25,805

Agreed, and if there is a knock sensor in this engine, you might want to have it checked for operation, as most newer vehicles can compensate for some knock through the use of the knock sensor which adjusts timing if spark knock is detected.