transmission dipstick location

keitht
0

Asked by keitht Jan 14, 2007 at 11:57 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu

where is the transmission dipstisk located?

tropikalpirate
6,535

The Chevy Malibu has a sealed transmission meaning there is no transmission dipstick. If you search for this car online you will find a lot of Malibu owners very angry about this fact and many other problems they are having with this car. I recommend you have someone change your fluid and filter because without this dipstick I dont know what to tell you.

Crenshaw
150

True - there is no dipstick. I serviced my transmission on my 2010 Chevy Malibu today (3.5 engine, 4 speed transmission) and after I had finished draining the tranny fluid and inserting the new transmission filter I was at a complete loss to find the location where I was to add the transmission fluid (Dextron VI). This would normally be the transmission dipstick. After a fruitless waste of time trying to locate the hidden 'oracle' I then searched online and found nothing useful. There are plenty of online repair catalogues you can purchase, but the problem with that is my car is not close to my computer. Nor are my hands clean enough to use my computer when I am working on my car. I sent my wife to buy the Haynes repair guide. After leafing through it I found the information I needed. The add transmission port is to the right side of the engine block and very low down hidden behind the air intake manifold and several wiring bundles. There is a black screw on cap where you can barely squeeze a Chihuahua's paw much less turn it and remove it. After a very painful and painstaking time dealing with this nightmare I have successfully added the approximate amount of tranny fluid I drained out while servicing. The kicker is - to see if it is full or too full you have to climb back under the car and remove a special bolt for the purpose. Ideally you have someone watching it underneath as you pour from above. Unfortunately my chauffeur was not in today so I had to wing it. Good look to all you other poor slobs going through or about to go through what I did today. God bless!

Roco
230

The transmission dipstick on a Malibu 2008 is located towards the front of the engine on the right side (Drivers side) by the car battery; you won’t locate it right away because its view is blocked by the air intake hose, but it’s not hard to squeeze your hand to pull the dipstick without removing the air intake hose. In fact, it's not a dipstick like the engine oil dipstick, and it’s more like a screwed "cap" similar to the hydraulic direction reservoir cap. 1) With the engine hot and running, pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, and put it back 2) Pull it out again and check the fluid level. The proper fluid level is marked on the dipstick To see the condition of the fluid better, drip it on a white paper towel. The new automatic transmission fluid usually comes red. Over time, it deteriorates and becomes more brownish. It's good idea to change it before it becomes too dark