ANy problems with CVT transmission?

TheOnts
0

Asked by TheOnts May 01, 2008 at 09:21 PM about the 2008 Nissan Sentra

Hi I just bought a 2008 Sentra.  I've had it for two weeks now.  It recently started making some clanking noise while it is in drive.  Has anybody heard or had this problem?

27,065

Take this in to the dealership, I have not heard of any problems like this, CVT is a proven design.

Johan Acevedo
80

hey, i have a 07 sentra and is making that noise as well, i can feel a vibration coming from underneath the car, my car has 47k miles, i took it to pepboys today and they told me is coming from the transmission casing, did you ever resolve this issue? if so please help me out, let me know. my email is: johan.acevedo@hotmail.com thank you

Mustafa Dagoglu
95

all the CVT transmissions are under warranty for 10 yrs or 110 mil... Take it to the any Nissan dealer, if it is the transmission they should fix it for free, i also have a 07 sentra s, and i got 49,000 on it and it runs very smooth. hope this helps a little.

maitai
150

I have 2007 brand new when I bought it. I have several problems with my CVT transmission. The first problem was it had a noise come to find out they had to replace a part. Then I had a whinning coming from the tranny took it the dealership they said it was fine and the next day we leave for Vegas we just got up the hill to State Line next thing you know I have no power in the engine. We pull over and wait a few minutes next thing you know it goes again. We barely make it into Vegas and my transmission went out and had to be replaced up there. It was funny how the dealership in Vegas had one available. A few months go by and the whinning started again along with some front end noise. Took it back to dealership they said it was a motor mount that was causing the problems. I find interesting how they covered up the tranny problems and said I had an oil leak in the oil pan. I did not believe it was an oil leak because there was not oil leak on my driveway and I just recently had and oil change before that. So you tell me where the coverup is. The technician drove it with me and said it was a motor mount and trans again but they did not put it on my paperwork. I have spoke with a lot of people with the CVT trans and have all said they had problems. I only had 58,000 at the time my transmission was replaced.

drivingurl
220

I have a 2008 and on my way from California to Las Vegas I also had the same problem with a whinning noise and lost power. I was told at the dealership that they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. They told me maybe it was because it was so hot out. Okay! Still not a reason for me to be criusing down the highway at 45-50. In the city I never have problems. So on a recent trip to California about an hour out of town and climbing the hill the loud whinning noise started again and I couldn't get my car to go over 39. Turned my car off and turned it back on it speed up to 47. I decided to turn around and go back home. Made back to the dealership where I was told it might be the transmission. In fact it was the transmission, which is now being replaced. Don't understand why this problem didn't show up the first time I took it in. I took video of the noise.

Aloha
110

My daughter had the same problem with her 2007 Sentra. She was driving home in near 100 degree heat from KC, MO, when it started whining and lost power. She has just over 60,000 on the car. The dealership replaced the transmission. She drove the car back to college in KC and left it parked for 2 weeks and tried to drive home tonight. Same thing - near 100 degrees outside, lost power, smoke this time which mechanic thinks is from transmission fluid dripping. She was so upset - out on I-70 with no power in the car. Had to call AAA to tow her and get her to the dealership. Awaiting word from the mechanic.

colobsktldy
120

I have a 2007 with 75,000 on it. Went on a road trip last week to Yellowstone and the transmission gave out just before we got to Laramie. Because I have never had a CVT before, I wasn't aware of how it would behave if the transmission were failing, but now I know.. for about 3 weeks before it went kaput, occasionally, the car would hesitate when starting from a stopped position - which I chalked up to 100 degree temps and a/c use. When the whole thing went out, the speedometer completely stopped working along with the odometer, then the RPMS were completely erratic and the car just stopped accelerating all together. The most frustrating part is that I live in Denver and my car is at a dealership in Laramie and it will be about 2 weeks before they can get the new Transmission. So we have had to rent a car and Nissan will NOT help us out at all. There was a Service Bulliten with our paperwork we signed, so it is evident to me that Nissan knows full well that these transmissions are a failure. Never Again - we're going back to Subaru within the next 6 months!

IvanHoe51
220

Proven design? The CVT is trash! I am waiting to have my 4th transmission replaced at 124,000 miles. (2007)

Kyle Smith
55

In the first releases? Not so much. In the newer models like the one I have? Much improved. It's unfortunate how Nissan is using this in most of it's mainstream vehicles as a standard option, but it does wonders for fuel economy. Sportiness...not so much.

JR2130
90

I have a 2010 sentra it has a little over 24000 miles and is already at the dealership with: guess what? transmission problem. The good news its still under warranty the bad news? it needs to be replaced so now I will have to wait like many others in this tread 2 to 3 weeks for it to be repaired. I will probable sell the account to some one else and try to get another car.

JR2130
90

Like the post of "MAITAI" they also told me that my transmission was completely had oil problems, in fact they told me that it didn't had no oil at all? Go figure.

homestatus
210

CVT is crap! First one replaced at 72,000 miles, now that one is out at 152,000. Car is driven on nothing but highways at 60-70. Nissan won't stand behind it. I've owned Nissans back when they were called Datsuns - about 12 of them - this is the LAST one. And I sure won't buy any brand with a CVT!

robertpompa45
400

CVT Program Details FAQs Included Vehicles About Nissan’s CVT Contact Nissan Consumer Affairs Home Parts and Service Bulletin Transmission Fluid (PDF) Related Sites www.nissanusa.com www.infinitiusa.com CVT Program Details Dear Nissan Owner: On behalf of everyone at Nissan, we would like to thank you for choosing to drive a Nissan. One of the many technologically-advanced features of your vehicle is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), an innovative transmission that offers smooth, seamless shifting, while tailoring the vehicle's output to your driving style. While Nissan is proud to offer this technology on many of our models, a small percentage of owners of early models equipped with CVTs have expressed concerns about the cost of repair of their transmissions after the warranty expires. We take these comments about the cost of vehicle ownership seriously. We strive to provide an exceptional ownership experience and are implementing a thorough Customer Satisfaction Program to address this topic. First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first. This extension is effective immediately and requires no action on your part. The remainder of your powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the transmission remains unchanged, at 5 years/60,000 miles, and your basic warranty coverage also remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply. This extended transmission warranty is also fully transferable to future owners of your vehicle. Second, Nissan will reimburse customers who have previously paid to repair or replace their CVT, if the repairs would have been covered within the new extended warranty period. Even if you no longer own your Nissan we will reimburse you for past CVT repairs that would have been covered under this extension of the warranty. Further, in the unlikely event that your vehicle's transmission should need repair beyond the extended warranty period we are working to decrease the cost of repair and have already reduced the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of a replacement CVT. In addition, we continuously strive to enhance our products, and have made ongoing improvements to our CVTs over the years. Nissan is taking these actions to demonstrate our confidence in the CVT technology and to show our commitment to stand behind our products. WHAT YOU SHOULD DO The extended warranty coverage for CVT repair or replacement is effective immediately. If you seek coverage for a repair under this extended warranty you will need to bring your vehicle to an authorized Nissan dealer. The factory-trained technical staff at the Nissan dealer will have the diagnostic tools and knowledge to provide you with the appropriate service and submit your warranty claim. If you have additional questions regarding this program, contact Nissan Consumer Affairs at 800-647-7261 for assistance. At Nissan we and our dealers work daily to deliver an outstanding ownership experience that will earn your confidence and trust. We are committed to doing the right thing for our customers and look forward to a long relationship that you find satisfying and rewarding. Thank you for choosing Nissan. Sincerely, Kevin Martin Vice President Total Customer Satisfaction This Consumer Reimbursement Program ended on 07/31/2010. For questions or concerns please contact Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1800NISSAN1 (1-800- 647-7261). © Copyright 2012 Nissan North America. All Rights Reserved.

Edward DeSantis
215

Everyone on here thats crying about there cvt, maybe you shouldn't beat the shit out of them anymore, and don't go telling me that "o i don't beat on mine" because i know you do. I know people hitting 200k on there 1st gen cvt's. The 1st gens had a problem the bands in the trans would go bad if you drove around for to many mines with bad trans or motor mounts. There is not sound other then a hum that comes out of a cvt, that loud bang you get or the clunking is a mount and to keep from having to change your cvt you should go have it taken care of. Or maybe to keep this from happening you could take care of your car and stop driving it like a damn race car.

homestatus
210

Gee Edward, I didn't know that was you following me for the last 150K miles... No motor mount problems on mine and the car has been driven about 90% of the time with cruise control set on 65-70 on the interstate. Since my wife and I are old now and haven't had a ticket in 12 years, I don't think I've been "beating the s... out of it." No noise, no banging, no warning, it just starts slipping. At least the check engine came on this time. Found out when they replace it, that the warranty is 12,000 miles. By the way, there doesn't appear to be such a thing as a rebuilt CVT - just a new one.

Edward DeSantis
215

Then you had one with a band problem they do come up from time to time, and that beating the **** out of them was more for the people that are on there 2nd-3rd ones or have any other noises coming from the cvt. You can rebuild them if you know some people that know some people that know some people that can get there hands on parts, but nissan has had that under there watchful eye for many years as the cvt trans is there own brain child. But i will say after having taken one apart they are nothing like a normal trans on the inside.

Baileyd
60

I also have A Nissan 2008 Sentra and hearing the ewhinning noise and have been to 3 dealerships and called the Nissan 800-647-7261 number with no luck. I have been a loyal Nissan buyer for many years and this has upset me enough to stop buying NIssan and let others know. I spoke to a lady who I haad to explain this more than 3 times the problems and feel like this is going nowhere....Kevin Martin Vice President Total Customer Satisfaction..HELP!!!! D. Bailey

JamesB007nd
20

Nissan Dealer in Decatur, GA replaced my transmission free of charge. I took this same car to the Nissan Dealer in Morrow, GA three times with this complaint and they replaced an engine mount, changed the oil and one other time told me they couldn't replicate the problem. I found this website and read that Nissan had extended the warranty on the CVT after the car started stalling at stop lights. I didn't want to go back to the dealer in Morrow who had seemingly refused to acknowledge there was a problem. I took it to Decatur and S. Valasquez was great. The transmission was on back order and they provided me with a loaner until the car was ready. They returned the car washed and detailed and running tip top. No complaints. They turned what I thought may have been a lemon from Car-Max into a great experience. Thanks to Nissan of Decatur and thanks to Nissan Motors for standing behind their product.

robertpompa45
400

I'm glad I posted once I learned myself about the extended warranty. Now everytime I see a sentra owner and I'm walking by, I let them know as well. This is my daughter's car and mostly highway miles, trust me Eward she is not beating the sh__t out of it, c'mon , it's a freaking Sentra, a far cry from my 71 Cuda 340 when I was her age, give me a break. I did forget to mention that I first took it to a mechanic of a friend......he hooked it up to the computer and he told me the tranny was bad. He was shopping a new one for me when I read the above attached. He made the mistake of clearing the codes the tranny was giving him, so when I took it to Nissan, the codes were clear because the tranny has to be really hot to give the error codes. We finally got it replaced for free because I told him I know it is the tranny and I KNOW about the extended warranty. He was surprised and replaced it no problem. Who could possilbly defend the CVT when even Nissan admits it's a problem ( Edward ) . I actually love the CVT , it's smooth, and you can't feel it shift, I'm just glad Nissan has posted the problem and done something about it. Baileyd.....get tough and go in demanding they replace it, print out the above statement from Nissan and take it in with you, they HAVE to replace it. Good luck

kamos
40

I have a '07 altima with 71000 miles. I have never done a transmission flush. Is it a necessity to have one done? I obviously don't drive my car much, but I've maintained well. Since I don't drive much I'm worried getting a flush will start to cause problems with my CVT transmission. Please advise what i should do

Rich Froehlich
40

I have a 2007 Sentra, Basically I drive the crap out if it. I change the oil every 4000-7000 miles And that's it! Never changed the trans fluid. My highway driving is hard and fast. Usually 80 and above. I have 150,000 miles and just today had my first transmission problem. 83 degree day, highway driving, heard a clunk and the odometer went down to Zero ( I was doing 80). Had no low gear. If I hit the gas the RPM's just climbed. Pulled into a rest area for about 20 minutes and I was able to drive it to my destination (jersey shore). At end of day after car sitting 8 hrs started it up and headed home (110 mile). I didn't beat on it that much but had no problems, Trans worked fine. I would definitly by another! But my goal is to get 200K on this car I paid $14,500 for.

kenlr
40

I have a 2011 sentra with 79000 miles, the transmission has to be replaced and Nissan will not provide any coverage. We also purchased an extended warranty. I have owned 6 Datsun/Nissan automobiles and this will be the last.

robertpompa45
400

Read my above long reply , I had copied and pasted it right from the Nissan website. If the dealer won't replace it for free, call the 800# and ask them what to do. Print the above out and take it to the dealer and have them explain why this doesn't apply to you. Also, I would think if you have paid for an extended warranty ( which are usually for drivetrain only, this would include the transmission ) it should at the very least be covered under that policy. With both of these under your belt insist that they replace it for free. Good luck

ncasparro1
20

my 07 sentra also gave out on me while driving to vegas and now i am already having problems with my new transmission. I do everything i can to keep my car running well, but this car is just a piece of crap. I do not speed, I do not drive out of control, or "beat the crap out of it". It is simply a terrible car and the transmission is a joke. The dealership told me this car is not good for trips like the one to vegas because the transmission cant make it. If i knew that i was going to have restrictions on where i was allowed to drive this car i would not have bought it.

Robert Lavallee
1,475

automatic transmissions have a 20% failure rate whereas cvt transmissions have a 1% failure and out of those 70% can be attributed to wrong fluid or some other reason that are no issue with the transmission itself. They have "lifetime" fluid (good thing because at $35/l its expensive) and most are made by jatco and sold to manufacturers for their cars (Nissan, Renault, vw, infiniti, ford, dodge, etc.). what I'm saying is that they are extremely reliable as long as they're taken care of mostly being mis diagnosed because of un trained techs, they're half the price of an auto transmission because of they're simplicity, and they're lighter too increasing fuel economy because of that and other factors. So the transmissions can't be bashed all the time they just have to be diagnosed and repaired properly.

Angie VanOrmer
30

My parents 2009 sentra recently started making a noise and I'm wondering if its the transmission as well.When you let off the gas it makes a sound kinda like when you put a pop can on your bicycle tire to make it sound like a car is this the noise people have experienced? Sorry I don't know how else to explain the noise other than that analogy. Can anyone help this just started

robertpompa45
400

Def Sounds like the Transmission. Drive it around for an hour , get it nice and hot , then take it to Nissan to have them check the codes. Don't mention the that you know about the factory extended warranty until they come back and tell you it's the trams. Have a copy of the above attached printed out and show it to them . Also, you can have another place do a diagnostics , but don't let them erase the error code, Nissan has to see it themselves in order for the to replace for free. Warranty on CVT trans is 120,000 mi . Hope this helps

Sean Sullivan
20

ugh - wish i found this thread before 11 am this morning! i traded in my 05 Altima SE (WHICH DEF HAD TRANS PROBLEMS!!!!!) for a Sentra SV - the test drive went well, but now that i go from highway to side street driving, the car feels like crap..... no pickup and im afraid to floor it now that i read so much above..... WONDERFUL.........

VitalM
10

Have a 2007 Sentra, bought it used at the dealership in 2010. Transmission went out around 80,000. Went to Cali a year later and transmission went out again while I was there. It's starting to make weird noises again, seems like it's about to go out again. Going to take it to the dealership. It's at 109,000 miles now. Had the car 4 years. Will never buy a Sentra again.

Andy Rock
60

NISSAN SENTRA WORST CAR EVER I'LL NEVER BUY ONE OF THIS CRAPPY VEHICLE EVER EVER AGAIN... I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM TRANSMISSION ITS GOING TO BE MY SECOND ONE TO BE REPLACE.....

Andy Rock
60

LISTEN WE ALL NEED TO GET TOGETHER FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST NISSAN FOR SELLING US BAD VEHICLES......

richremax
20

I have a 2007 Sentra with 160,000 miles. I literally beat the shit out of it and it will not die! I just checked the oil and it was 3 quarts low so I added some. The stupid low tire pressure light comes on and goes off and blinks, the check engine light comes on and goes off but really $14,500 and 160,000 miles or hard driving. I would recommend to anyone!

wandamesser
15

I am very disappointed in Nissan, I have a 1993 Nissan 240SX SE convertible I bought NEW. Have 150,000 miles on it. Have looked at 2014 Pathfinder, loved the vehicle but then started reading and found out about the CVT transmissions. Do not feel comfortable with purchasing a Nissan, I have tried to rationalize that possibly it would. Be safe to purchase because Of all the ammenities that the Pathfinder has, but just can't get past the CVT transmission. I am a 65 yr old woman and would hate to get stuck on a interstate or vehicle suddenly stop on me on a busy interstate.

Jason Ellena
40

Let me start with never buy a Nissan. With that said my wife was on her way on San Francisco when the transmission blew on a 2007 Nissan Sentra w/ approx 123k miles on it. Long story short, after having a shop diagnose the issue, I retrieved the vehicle and contacted Nissan about the problem, I was informed that the car's drive train had a 120k mile or 10 year warranty. I was unaware of this and if I did i would have taken the car in at 119,999 miles with that said. I had it towed to this God awful dealership/ service dept Nissan of Van Nuys, CA. I was told by the service dept to have the car towed and a Bill Parks will sign for it and take care of it. Well this started on Friday by Monday I had heard nothing. So my wife calls the service dept, they said they never received the car.... I contacted the tow company and they provided me with all the necessary paperwork show a "Bill" signing for it. At this point I was getting nowhere with the service dept, so I decided to take time out of my work day and drive over there to sort this out. At this point i get directed to speak with Bill Parks. Bill Parks tells me he never signed for anything and never received the car. I walked the lot and sure enough its sitting right there. Well its a good thing I cleaned the car out because it was unlocked and nobody from Nissan had any paperwork or that it was there. Now the fun part was tracking down the Key's to the vehicle. It took me looking at there wall of keys to find it. During my whole time interacting with Bill Parks he was down right rude, inconsiderate, acting as if he didn't want to do his job, he was unhelpful and left me with very dissatisfied to the point I didn't want him to do my repair. After this whole debacle at the service dept, 2 days later my wife gets a call letting us know that Nissan will not warranty the transmission. NEVER I REPEAT NEVER BUY A CAR FROM THIS AWFUL DEALERSHIP OR A NISSAN IN GENERAL, THEY ARE CRAP CARS AND A LOUSY COMPANY THAT DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. I'D RATHER PUSH ANY CAR THAN A NISSAN. STAY AWAY YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Jing Foronda
20

Uggh..I feel you guys. I had 2 engines replaced. I have a Nissan Sentra 2008. The first one was covered by Nissan at 30k (i had a problem already) and then at 100k which I purchase a new engine (well rebuilt old with 25k miles in it). I will never ever buy a crappy car from Nissan anymore...I have been loyal to them since 2000 ...I had a Nissan Xterra 2000(didn't have any problem), Nissan Pathfinder 2006 (no problem), Nissan Altima 2004 (had problem catalyctic converter) so I bought a Nissan Sentra 2008 (this car is crap!!! everything is falling apart), and I also have currently a Nissan Pathfinder 2009 (no problem yet)..Mind you I bought my car brand new and I am high mileage commuter.. I racked up 160 miles daily (M-F) on all my vehicle...I am going back to buy a Honda after I paid off my Nissan Pathfinder which is soon (thank goodness)..I still have my Nissan Sentra 2008 (paid off already) but has problem with that sound when i let go off the gas pedal..as you guys were saying...there's problem with transmission, casing, etc...uggh too much $$$$ i put with this stupid Nissan Sentra!!!!

You think this is helpful.
wandamesser
15

As I have stated before, I have a 1993 Nissan 240 SX SE, I bought new In 1993.. I was planning g to purchase a Nissan Pathfinder Platimun which the dealership offered me a great deal, but Imwill not buy. Not with all the problems with the CVT transmission . I will always be concerned about breaking down some place. So I am going to buy the Hyundai Santa Fe Limited.

Robert Lavallee
1,475

very poor choice with the hyundai. the cvt transmissions have an extremely low failure rate compared to automatics. simple in design, cheaper to make and far more reliable.

wandamesser
15

In response to Robert's reply "Poor choice on Hyundai over Nissan" Don't think so. All I have read about Nissan CVT transmission is negative. Nissan owns a big position on the company that manufacture the transmissions. Nissan just recently put a new CEO in charge of that company trying to fix the transmission problems. Nissan also increased the warranty, doubled the warranty to try and mitigate their CVT transmission problems. Infiniti also uses the same CVT transmission and the same problem is being reported with these cars. If anyone, knowing there is a problem, purchases that automobile, and it breaks down, then they purchased knowing that transmission is likely to have problems. I am a 65 yr old woman, and I do not want to purchase a vehicle knowing that this is a problem. B the way, my 1993 Nissan still has the original transmission, it is an automatic. So I will trust the old type transmission over the newly developed that does not have a trac record as yet

nissanbooo
10

Avoid Nissan!!!, Not only does their sentra tranny seem abysmal, but their '05-10 Xterras/Path Finders/Frontiers have a well known radiator defect where a component fails and leaks into the transmission killing them both in one shot. This is a $5,000-$8,000 repair! (Google nissan radiator defect). You've been warned to avoid nissan!

Robert Lavallee
1,475

the rad issue has an extended warranty for that issue so if you pay for that repair you're not very smart.

jaysal
30

I've looked into this for my 2010 sentra after a trip to Cali. Whining noise is due to the trans fluid over heating. They say the fix is to install a trans cooler which it has pre- installed mounting brakets for the cooler. It happens only when driving 65+ more then 1.5hrs straight or going above a certain rpm for a certain time then the whining sound and loss of power which is the fail safe logic. Hope this helps..

SentraJ
30

Nissan ''engineers'' posted something about CVT's a while back. Basically, to avoid having your car go into fail safe: -Do not drive faster than 65 miles per hour for more than 1.5 hours. -Keep the engine revs below 4000. -Fail safe will occur if climbing a hill for more than 6 miles. -Whining sound occurs when car is in fail-safe. Personally, the majority of all CVT fail-safe videos I can find on Youtube, for example, are people who's vehicles went into fail-safe from speeding (70-80mph+) and pushing the tach needle above 4k constantly. Fail-safe is meant to protect the transmission before it fails on you, meaning you should be able to get to your destination, but people keep mashing the gas pedal trying to go faster than 80mph when the engine power is reduced... CVT's cannot withstand high torque, so if you're constantly pushing your car, driving aggressively, fail-safe happens, it's written in my 2011 Sentra's manual, I assume it's the same for others. I know of one lady who has a 2003 Murano with over 200k on her odometer. She tows a boat with it, kept up maintanence on perhaps the most fail-prone CVT equipped model/year and never had one problem.

Ashamedofsentra
10

1% fail rate lol well now that i in the same boat im sure this is more than 1% if nissan is puttin extended warranties out then its dam near majority. I drive mostly highway 65- 75 juss cause speed linits here are 65 or 70. Today i had whinning noise and then rpms wouldnt go above 3k. Turned car off and back on and went back to normal. Read everyones posts and it sounds like my 2011 sentra cvt is doin same shit. So ashamed of nissan right now. Cvt trans are junk. Who puts bands on a fuckin transmission? Id rather go back to honda/acure, worse thing i had with them is wheel bearings. Thats only cause they are pressed into the hubs. Id rather take my chances with rx-8 for bs thissentra has caused i couldve done a engine swap on rx-8. Nissan has officially dropped in my book. Very dissappointed in quality. Good idea with cvt trans but shitty engineering and quality. I can tell ill be sellin this sentra soon

Ashamedofsentra
10

Sentraj then you pretty much told us cvt is a waist. Why have a car if you can only go max 65 lol i might as well drive a uhaul everywhere

Ashamedofsentra
10

Wish there was a way to swap out cvt bullshit for a different trans

Spillness
10

Always change your CVT transmission fluid at decent intervals (20,000- 50,000) miles. It helps lubricate, and the older the fluid gets, the less well it lubricates. It also helps with heat transfer, and when the fluid ages and gets hot, the chemical components degrade and loose important properties over time. Sure it is expensive to do ($210) but sure beats paying for a new tranny. Do maintenance on your tranny (fluid change) otherwise Nissan can say that you did not follow the correct maintance schedule. Take care of your cars. Our CVT runs great at 51,000 miles. Will post again at 100,000.

SentraJ
30

I understand y'alls uncertainty with CVT's, but Spillness has a good point. Nissan recommends that you change the CVT fluid every 60k miles or so. If you drive in severe conditions, the fluid should be changed sooner than that. Coolant protection is also vital in the safe- guarding of these transmissions. Nissan has a service bulletin detailing the proper coolant mix to insure the proper functioning of the CVT. I drive in temperatures ranging from +40'C to -40'C depending on the time of year. Never had an issue yet. Maintanence is key.

mamaquags
0

I have a 2007 Nissan Versa - had the transmission replaced at 80,000, fuel filter replace the first year, driver side floor had to be rewelded as water kept coming in during rain storms, what a piece of junk. now at 145,000 the transmission is going again (with only 67500 miles on it) and not covered. oh and the exaust fell apart at about 48,000. have had many Nissans over the years, will NEVER buy one again. Worst car I have owned and I had a 1971 Ford Pinto....

bmp0014
25

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5L SL that has 145,000 miles and I just now had to replace the transmission. Granted the car still drives fine when coasting down the interstate, but come to a stop....and take off it does nothing for a bit then finally kicks in and goes. I was skeptical with the CVT transmissions at first because I purchased an 07 Murano and it had tranny issues....but I went with this Altima to give it the benefit of the doubt....and I think that's pretty decent to get 145,000 miles out of it (the previous owner raw dogged the crap out of it). Putting a used transmission in it with 72,000 mi on that.....crossing my fingers it will work out. If not, I have a year warranty on parts/labor....so worse case scenario, I'll trade it off at the end of the year. Other than that, the car is AWESOME.....motor runs perfectly fine, which is surprising seeing how the previous owner treated this car like crap....I bought it off of an auction thinking I got a REALLY REALLY good deal...but after having to replace the tranny, it's turned into a "good deal"....granted the transmission put in it holds up. If not, I'll have a decent car to trade in for a new Altima/Maxima. Love the way the CVT drives....keep up with the maintenance and ensure you put only NISSAN CVT Fluid in it (my Altima takes NS-2). They say to not buy the off-brand because even though it says it's for Nissan NS- 2....it's not going to be the same formula as Nissan came up with to keep the transmission cooled down...if these transmissions get too hot they will go bad QUICK. Hoping to see at least 200k out of my car!

bmp0014
25

By the way, if your Nissan dealership isn't standing behind their warranty, definitely contact Nissan Consumer Affairs and get a case going. They will replace it once corp. contacts them and threatens to pull their license if they don't fix it.