1977 CUTLASS SUPREME THAT ONLY GOES IN REVERSE... NEED HELP!!!!

77cutlassS
20

Asked by 77cutlassS Mar 20, 2013 at 09:31 PM about the 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Cutlass Supreme and it will only go in reverse. But when I jacked it in the air and put it in drive the tires
roll but put it back down again no forward. What can be the problem? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

49,975

Sounds like the transmission needs service.

77cutlassS
20

i was thinking that but I thought that if its the transmission i shouldnt be able to go forward at all? or am i mistaking?

77cutlassS
20

everything is fine with the trans levels thats the first solution i went for

7jimmy7
10,725

forward clutches smoked,99.9 percent that 1/10 percent made the wheels spin up on jacks. its an easy fix by comparison.id go used .little money cost

77cutlassS
20

@ judge yes a 350 turbo

77cutlassS
20

@7jimmy7 so u say it might be the forward clutch?

7jimmy7
10,725

clutches discs about 6 facings worn thin from normal wear.id say

77cutlassS
20

@ 7jimmy7 do you know how often they go bad? have you ever replaced a forward clutch before? i just recently purchased this car from the first owner and im restoring it.

49,975

A lot of people think automatic transmissions last forever. They have clutches that get replaced and bands that can be tightened along with new fluid and filters. That's all part of the transmission service I mentioned.

Michael Tutty
4,385

The Turbo 350 is a great transmission, but it does not last forever. I would say it is time to rebuild. Not a huge job. IF, though, you plan to drive the car quite a bit on the highway, find a good 200R4 in the salvage yard and have it rebuilt strong enough for the engine in the Cutlass. That will give you both a locking torque converter and overdrive. The gas mileage improvement will more than cover the up charge fairly quickly.