2001 Tahoe ran out of gas and won't start after filling back up.

Asked by mjtoledano Jan 07, 2007 at 11:10 AM about the 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe

I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe w/ a 5.3L. I had the engine idling for a bit and forgot about it and it ran itself out of gas. After refueling it, the Tahoe wouldn't start. Also, the fuel gauge wasn't showing the proper fuel level after running out of fuel. I've checked all of the fuses and noticed that the ECM fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse, and the fuel level began showing the right fuel level. The Tahoe still wouldn't start. Can anyone help me?

There are a couple of possibilities here mjtoledano. The good news is that if the ECM fuse hasn't blown again that may indicate the fuel pump is still sound. That's still a possibility (failed fuel pump)but most likely there is air in the fuel line ... or ... when you ran dry the fuel filter sucked up something off the bottom of the tank that is blocking it. You probably are looking at a trip to the dealer to have it checked out but if you are ambitious enough to change out the fuel filter I would start there. Good luck!

It may have been your fuel pump...same happened to me and that was the problem solver

I wish people would stop with the "sucked up some crud" from bottom of tank. The fuel inlet screen / filter is located in the bottom of the tank and always sucks up gas and whatever else is down there, hence the screen. Running out of gas does not mean you've now pulled some crud into the pump. More likely, you've blown a fuse on the fuel pump or simply you've got air in the fuel lines that's hard to work out. Running the ignition on without turning the engine over for a few minutes allows the pump to run and slowly purge itself of air.

Daniel Lawson

You fried the fuel pump. It only takes one time running it out of gas and that can happen.

Are you saying GM is so stupid to put a fuel pump in a car that burns out if it is not pumping fuel? Wow no wonder they make a lot of money. Wouldn't a fuse pop or blow first? That is what fuses are for. No I'm sorry, the pump must of been made in China, assemble in Mexico, that got it from a dealer in Canada. Yep, made in America works for me also. I've run our of gas and/or friends have and I never had to replace a fuel pump or fuse. The fuel is gone, the motor dies not run. Would a driver leave the keys on to go get gas? Air in the lines is more of a intelligent response here. If I'm wrong, I'll keep my old cars with the mechanical fuel pumps that are still going after 44 years.