My car has 138,000 miles on it and I want to continue to drive what are some good maintenance tips.

tpeterson
0

Asked by Feb 23, 2007 at 08:00 AM about the 2001 Chevrolet Impala

My car is curerently in need of new fans in the engine . I want to continue to driving my car plus I need to know what else I can do to keep it in good shape as far as the engine and transmission.

bovan
13,320

Dear tpeterson-- The first thing I would do if owned or was thinking of buying a high mileage, late model car is to have it looked at by a mechanic I can trust. My main man, Tom Fahy at the Newton Street garage in Brighton, Ma. would check all the belts, check the brakes, check the exhaust system and listen with his sharp ear as the car idled and then drove at highway speeds. He would probably change all the filters, recommend new spark plugs and wires, and repair those faulty items he had found. He would add a bottle of fuel system cleaner to my gasoline and send me off with the warning to change the oil every 3,000 miles. Of course I would bring it to him for the oil change because now he knows the car and might see or hear something that needs attention when I bring it in. Cars can last a long time nowadays with proper care. Good luck from Bovan.

Anonymous
0

DON'T BELIEVE GM OR OTHER CAR MANUFACTURERS WHEN THEY SAY THE ANTIFREEZE IS GOOD FOR 150,000 MILES, OR HOW OFTEN THEY SAY TO CHANGE THE OIL. REMEMBER THEY ARE IN THE BUSINESS OF SELLING CARS. THEY WOULD NEVER ADMIT IT BUT THEY WOULD NEVER DO THIS TO THEIR CARS, REGARDLESS OF HOW RUGGED THEY HAVE MADE THEM. CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY 3,000 TO 4,000 MILES MAX WITH A GOOD HIGH DETERGENT OIL AND FLUSH AND CHANGE YOUR ANTIFREEZE EVERY OTHER YEAR. EVEN THE ANTIFREEZE GM SELLS DOES NOT MIX WELL AND WILL REACT WITH SOME TYPES OF ANTIFREEZE. IF YOU MUST ADD ANTIFREEZE, EITHER ADD THE GM RECOMMENDED ANTIFREEZE OR FLUSH SYSTEM COMPLETELY BEFORE CHANGING ANTIFREEZE TYPES. GREASE EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE GREASED EVERY 50,000 TO 60,000 MILES AND CHANGE FUEL FILTERS ABOUT THAT OFTEN. CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS ABOUT EVERY 18 MONTHS. CHECK OIL AND FLUID LEVELS WEEKLY AT A MINIMUM. CHECK THE BRAKE PADS AND/OR SHOES, CALIPERS, WHEEL CYLINDERS, ETC. FOR EXCESS WEAR AND LEAKS ABOUT EVERY 6 TO 8 MONTHS. CHECK TIRE PRESSURE AND CONDITION MONTHLY. ROTATE TIRES AS NEEDED. NOT ONLY CAN IT HELP YOUR GAS MILEAGE TO KEEP A GOOD EYE ON YOUR TIRES, BUT IT MAY HELP YOU PREVENT A BLOWOUT, A WRECK, DAMAGE TO STRUTS, ALIGNMENT, CAR BODY, ETC. IF YOU NOTICE PROBLEMS WITH ANY OF THESE THINGS I MENTIONED OR ANY OTHERS YOU ENCOUNTER (INCLUDING ANY NOISES THE CAR IS MAKING), HAVE IT CHECKED OUT IMMEDIATELY. THE LONGER YOU PUT OFF A NEEDED REPAIR, THE MORE COSTLY THE REPAIR CAN BECOME. IF YOU LOVE AND APPRECIATE YOUR CAR YOU WON'T MIND SPENDING A LITTLE TIME AND MONEY HERE AND THERE TO MAINTAIN IT. REMEMBER IT IS NOT WHAT THE CAR LOOKS LIKE INSIDE OR OUT, BUT WHAT IS UNDER THE HOOD THAT GETS YOU WHERE YOU ARE GOING.