Where is inj. ecm or driver

creativeoneracing
0

Asked by creativeoneracing Oct 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM about the 1979 Cadillac Eldorado

When the eldo I bought thats been parked for 15yrs ,starts missing,bucking,backfiring a half mi. from shop. Before I even tryed to start it I replaced the fuel tank, both fuel pumps, fuel filter. Then we started and ran in shop for probably an hr. before taking on road when started acting up. After babying back to shop I had good fuel psi and volumn,all inj.ohm'd the same, left #2 unpluged to check for noid when it started and sounded good again after plugging #2 in , took it on road again just to get stranded again. Have any ideas?  primative injection   6.0  368    Thanks

15,995

I'm assuming you don't have a diesel engine and the fifth character of the VIN is the letter "B"? If that is correct you have the V8 350 (5.7 Liter). The ECU (Electronic Control Unit) as they called it back in those days is usually found behind the glove box under the passenger's side dash. It will have a vacuum hose connected to it for the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. That vacuum hose needs to be connected to the intake manifold. Check the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve for sticking. Also check the throttle position sensor for proper operation with an ohm meter. HTH. -Jim

creativeoneracing
0

Your rite it is a 5.7 and I did find the ecu. I disconnected the map hose from it to check for vac. or blockage and it started rite up reved, idled, ran rich but ran. Put hose back on while running, then it leaned out to the point of missing, bucking, stall. I'm thinking ECU Thanks Jim

15,995

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thanks for letting us know. -Jim