ok my 1969 buick,skylark custom ignition doesnt work, ive tested the starter, checked the ignition switch but they arent the prob. i also get resistance in the battery cables

Joanne Trainer
65

Asked by Joanne Jul 26, 2009 at 01:01 AM about the 1969 Buick Skylark

Jim Kososki
385

Check the condition of the battrey with a load tester. Also check the conections between the battrey and cable and cable and starter.Look for green or white coroision Let me know how ya make out....Jim

Joanne Trainer
65

the battery is brand new and i havent come across and corrosion on the cables. I was able to turn it over by taking a screw driver to the starter and doing a manual connection on the terminals and it ran beautiful but the only thing is that you have to keep it connected to the terminals to have it in the 'run' position. so i bought "push start" button and connected it to the terminals and temporarly kept it resting underneath the car while i did other work on it, but it would be too easyto steal my car so ive removed it ). I really dont have much experience or knowledge with starters, and i dont have a proper repair manual with more detail and diagrams but i noticed on the solenoid that theres three terminals. One large in the middle(which i beilive is the power supply) and two smaller ones on the sides, marked with "S" and "R" on the solenoid. im not sure but i think they are the "start" and "run" position on the starter, let me know if thats right or not. i would also like to know where the terminal's wires are connected to on the other side and where they go through to get the to see if its the wiring. also what repair manual would you recommend for the year and model of my car( 1969 skylark custom), that is very detailed and specific, with more diagrams( especially electronic and wiring diagrams ). another thing i want to learn about my car( or any car) is what gets connected to what on everything ( such as the spark plugs connected to the distributor which is connected to...) but i think that will take a while to learn, but im trying. also i had a hair line crack in my gas tank that was leaking so i waited till it dried to do a quick epoxy fix but i know it wont hold forever(i needed to get gas in the tank to see if the fuel pump still worked and if the gas would reach the engine...it did :D) but i was wondering for when it starts leaking again if i can just take the tank out and weld it or do i have to get a new tank my car has been in my family since 1971 and for the past 6-7 years it just sat in my driveway rusting away, so i started to work on it and i was shocked and radiantly happy when i got under neath and turned the crankshaft 360 degrees and then got it started(even if it was only temporary). for a fourty year old car that didnt have much TLC its in pretty ok condition.

Jim Kososki
385

The S needs to have the hot wire from the ing. If that dont work the solnoide would have to be changed

35,145

GM cars from that time are virtually indestructible!! The '69 Buicks were great cars!! The large connector at the starter solenoid is for your positive (+) battery cable & a second smaller but kinda thick wire that goes to the ignition switch. The "R" terminal is for the small resistance wire that goes to your ignition coil. Depending on how your car is supposed to be wired, the "S" terminal may or may not be used. To get a factory shop manual contact Faxon Auto Literature in Riverside, California. The factory shop manual will have wiring diagrams and everything you will need to get your Buick up & running again. Good luck with it. As I said, you have a GREAT car there!! HTH. -Jim