After replacing alternator, engine cranks but won't catch.

scosby
0

Asked by scosby Nov 30, 2012 at 05:36 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

Alternator went out & my husband replaced it.  Now when you try to start it, it sounds like it would if it were out of gas.  It won't start.  What could have gone wrong?

12,855

Have you tried jumping it? The engine requires approximately 9.5- 10 volts to crank depending on the battery and engine size. The computer requires an additional 1- 1.5 volts. A battery can have enough voltage to crank but have nothing left for the computer to run. The bad alternator could have left the battery in that charge where it seems ok but isn't.