timing belt

aandjhamilton
0

Asked by aandjhamilton Apr 22, 2010 at 02:51 PM about the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser

has anyone had any issues with timing belt?

garageman
925

Yes,they stink to do, i have done three of them ,the third one was not any nicer then the first one ,very tight on the front of the engine there is just no room

Steven Hood
355

I'm on my fourth one. My mechanic tells me it is a terribly difficult job because it is very, very tight in the engine compartment where it is located. Because it is so labor intensive, it is quite expensive. Also, if you are going at any speed if/when the belt breaks, you can really screw up the engine. Fortunately, that hasn't happened to me.

kffk
125

Just changed mine a week or so ago. Got 181,000 plus miles on the original belt. Yes its tight. When you change it get the kit and change the water pump while your there.

Steven Hood
355

Wow! That's an awful lot of mileage on one timing belt! You are so lucky. I think 60,000 to 80,000 miles is about what you can get out of them. I just replaced mine again at 207,000. I think it's the second or third time I've replaced it. And yes, every time, it's a good idea to change the water pump, as well.

roondoggie
20

i got 128,000 on my 2005 PT before belt broke....I was at an idle when it happened ...should have changed it as recommended...had to have bent valves worked on...including water pump..spent $1900 total....don't wait too long..

kickboyface
95

i have a 2008 turbo convertible with 75000 miles. no timing belt problems of any type -- then again, there's not suppsed to be at this mileage. you can search for the "continual car" blog for all details of EVERYTHING i've had to right and wrong with this car.

blonz13
10

I am having my timing belt replaced as I speak,in my 05 PT Cruiser,at 131,000 miles...The problem is the belt wants to slip...Worst work space ever...Whose dumb a** idea was it to put these cars together this way.Really a crappy little under the hood experience...Not sure what the problem is,the water pump has been replaced to.My friend suggested dynamite....Hmmmm...

EATME1958
55

I have a 97 3000GT SL and just had the timing belt/tensioner/water pump done at 118k miles the shop time was 5.5 hours. I bought the full kit. So it was $500 everything complete. A Mitsubishi dealer will charge $1500. I would just as soon be shot dead as ever have a dealer do anything to my cars, period!

garageman
925

Was just the parts kit $500.00or was that for the whole job?On a lot of t belt jobs$1500.00 is not out of the realm of possibility.I recently priced out a t belt job on an Audi A4 cabrio with a 3.0 L v 6 and it was a little over 1600.00 for parts and labor.Most of these cars nowadays are interference engines,cheeping out on a t belt job can result in a catastrophe that can cost a LOT more than the $1500.00 the dealer quoted you.it's ok to be a DIY kind of guy,but know your limitations.Most Misubishi products that I have worked on are pretty miserable things under the hood,especially the V6 engines.A lot of t belts require special tools and proper procedures for tensioning the belt correctly,one goof and there goes all of that money saved.

melmel8149
80

Help! I'm a girl who is seriously ocnsidering changing her timing belt on her 05 pt cruiser. its only got about 106,000 miles, but i can hear the belt everytime i turn on my car. I have had estimates price the parts and labor from 800-1300. Thats just too much for me right now. Should i even try to attempt to do it myself?? I don't understand how its so expensive, when the kit itself is only 150.00. Suggestions?

garageman
925

Are you sure it's the T belt you are hearing? The P/S reservoir on these are noted for the screens clogging and making a whining noise,similar to a bad bearing.

melmel8149
80

@garageman I can't be 100 percent sure. I don't have one of those scanner thingys and places charge alot to diagnose your car. Everyone that listens to my car says its the belt?

garageman
925

You do not need a scanner for diagnosing noise complaints,a good dose of common sense will work wonders,there seems to be a shortage of it going around.Competence in auto repair is not costly,it's priceless! Think about that.

melmel8149
80

How do I know what sound a timing belt makes? Thanks for all the help, I think I'm going to try and change it myself. Wish me luck!

garageman
925

Do not take this the wrong way but,if you have never done this type of work and do not have any of the special tools for this job ,shut the hood and have a professional shop do the job.I am not kidding on this.I have thirty-six years experience as a professional mechanic.What I am telling you is as far as timing belts go on a scale of one to ten this belt job is an eight in difficultyVery tight working space,you are going to need a puller designed for Chrysler crank pulleys and an installer also specific for this job.Being a dual cam you are also going to need a jig to keep the cams aligned while putting the new belt on.You can go ahead and do it but if you have never done this type of work before I will not encourage you,you may create more problems than the money you are trying to save.When I have done these in theist I have a jig that I made for locking the cams together,and it involves pulling the valve cover which involves pulling the upper intake plenum.most of these the valve cover is leaking any way so the gasket gets renewed.Get a shop manual and be prepared is what I am telling you.

roseco
60

I have a 2007 pt cruiser and I am sitting in a motel typing this cause yesterday while driving home from a trip I heard a loud pop and car died. I pretty much guessed it was my timing belt. This morning the shop called me and I called it. Timing belt and he saud he needed to replace the water pump while at it and seals... final cost is 983.26. They came down from 1150 since I am having to pay to stay in a motel and they said it will take a day and a half.

roseco
60

Oh and I had 94000 miles on car.

Erika Peterson
10

Omg....I think I'm ging to cry...

Jen Gordon
10

Sell your Cruisers before you have to replace your engine like we did at only 90,000 miles due to a snapped timing belt. Worse engine design EVER!!!

calves41
10

Well, I was just quoted $889. to replace the timing belt on my 05 PT Cruiser...that is if there are not bent valves. I was idling at a red light and when I went to go, the car would not move....OH, what are you going to do.......cars, people and houses.....they all need help after a few years. LOL

Jen Gordon
10

But did you end up paying $2300 to have your engine replaced? Yeah, steep...but we're actually trading ours in, in a few days.

Alex Saker
35

i only charge $600 at my shop to change the timing belt

Alan_M2911
10

Are you located in southern AL or MS? Thx.