how to determine axle ratio?

Carlo Fanto
115

Asked by Carlo Dec 07, 2009 at 04:15 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Suburban

How do you determine the axle ratio installed (stock) on a 2003 Suburban 4x4 (1500)? I was looking at tow ratings and noticed there were two listings provided for my vehicle (3.73 & 4.10, if I remember correctly).

Ricky Hayes
65

Jack up the rear end of the vehicle, Put a mark on the Drive Shaft, Spin the Rear wheel by hand one time and count how many times the drive shaft makes complete rotation. ex. If you spin the wheel one time and the drive shaft makes 3 & 3/4 spins then it is a 3.73. if it makes a little over 4 spins then its a 4.10. I may have it ass backwards to be honest with you though. it may be how many times the wheel spins for one drive shaft rotation. I hope this helps

Carlo Fanto
115

Thanks Ricky... someone mentioned about RPO codes stamped in the glovebox that determines the axle ratio from the factory on a late 90's Chevy... I wonder if that applies as well to my '03... I'll check if there's any coding stamped in the glove box in the mornin'... I appreciate your quick reply.

Carlo Fanto
115

99'Heartbeat posted this on the GMTruckClub forums: http://www.compnine.com/vid.php type in your VIN and it'll spit out all the RPO codes for your vehicle(s). I guess I've got myself a 3.73 axle ratio based on RPO code: GT4 w/ a 7200lb GVWR.

Fordtudor37
4,645

Somewhere on the driver's door or body area of your vehicle you will find a sticker that has the VIN across the top, GVR, tire size, and other information on it. At the bottom of that sticker it will show an "axle code". Take that information with the VIN number to any dealership and they can get the gear ratio and tell you what type of rear axle is in the vehicle. SOMETIMES, if you crawl underneath the truck, there will be a tag on the rear axle cover (held on by a bolt) and the gear ratio will be stamped into the metal tag.

Russ Hofer
10

The codes are on the sticker inside the glove box door.

elijahbiehl
0

usually a tab with the ratio on one of the bolts on the inspection plate on the rear end, or see how many times you have to turn the driveshaft to get a full rotation of the wheels. (3.73 turns driveshat/1 rotation of wheels=3.73/1 or 3.73.