AC Air out fins not moving jointly

zaffarlone
5

Asked by zaffarlone Feb 20, 2013 at 06:48 AM about the 2008 Ford Explorer

The fins directing the exost air from my AC near the dash in center do not move right or left jointly. I have to move them one by one. How do I solve this problem.

judge_roy

When you say 'fins' I think air conditioning. Back when I was a heating man, they had in my toolkit a number of combs spaced at the same spacing as the fins, just comb them straight. I think what you are on about are the pivoting outlets (made of plastic) that wlll not move together. Is it the cluster of each fins or independant a fin at a time, indicating a broken connector. moving a cluster of air deflectors left and right ain't that big a deal, but if each individual fin needs to be moved independantly, we have a time consuming problem then. Replace the registers in your dash (if this is the problem).

zaffarlone
5

I need to replace it or repair it , in both the cases I need to remove it. I need a simple guidence to unassemble it. Most of the time these assemballies are trickey and I could damage a clip or so. Thanks

judge_roy

...don't look to bob_nueske, as my toyota dash has been brutalized, in pieces and held together with black tape. massive weekend long disassembly, then still the new plastic will flake and disintegrate just like the old one did. We can wait and see if a carguru with experience in dashboard repair will help you- just make a new dashboard from maple~

judge_roy

you know with a paperclip and needlenose pliers, you could drill holes and connect them...yeah, a bit unsightly but would be a fix.