My hummer sometimes will not start like it doesn't want to fire up. Wait 10 min and it starts.

stingerh3
0

Asked by stingerh3 Oct 22, 2012 at 03:03 PM about the 2007 Hummer H3

maybe is the fuel pump

Michael Kane
10,745

I would say the fuel pump is a good place to start. sounds like its not building up good fuel pressure.

You think this is helpful.
John Leone
5,445

to test the fuel pump/filter, have the truck off, then turn the key to acc/lights come on, but not the engine, some models you will hear a low gurgle sound, for a few seconds, turn the key off, then repeat the process again, then off, then start it, to see if the system is just needing more pressure to be primed...

Tracy Dial-Tipton
130

My 2006 hummer h3 is doing the SAME thing, did you find out what was wrong with yours??

GraceL
20

Seems to work if you sit and wait. But its a bummer as who wants to wait when you want to get going.

HummerGirl
150

I Have a 2004 Hummer H2 that will not crank at times. I will drive it then put it in park sit with it running for a short period of time. Shut it down for under 5 minutes then jump in try to start it and NOTHING. Lights and all electronics come on but it will not turn over. I hear a slight scratch like sound when turning the key all the way to crank. It's not the Battery, Not the Neutral Safety switch, Not the Starter or the Starter Solenoid. But After sitting for a little while it suddenly starts. We are about to replace the key ignition itself. It like maybe something is getting hot then cooling off or something. ANY IDEAS??

PatriciaDoss
180

Did anyone find the real reason the H3 will not start and in ten minutes starts right up...If it's a factory problem it should be a recall...

Ashley Rush
30

I had the same problem and they think the problem is a temperature sensor that was sending faulty readings to the computer. It was thinking that the engine was too cold and sending fuel to the motor causing it to flood.

Rcdhuman
110

I also have the exact same curse. It cranks and seems like the battery is working but it won't efffing start. I have to wait at least 10 minutes. What the heck is going on. Is there anybody that solved this?

cocod
145

I have the 2006 hummer h3 and I switched out the relay for the fuel pump number 66 with another one and she fired up.hummer was down for a few days but all good now.

cocod
145

It was easygoing in your engine compartment open the fuse box look At your fuse box panel diagram and find number 66 fuel pump relay switch it for now with another one with the same part number on it, your hummer should fire up with a crank no start issue.bad relay.

cocod
145

#66in the fuse panel switch it out for a min with maybe your rear defrost relay your hummer should fire up.

awezhum
10

I've had the same problem for 4 1/2 years on a 2006 H3! If you wait exactly 10 minutes, it starts just fine. Had fuel pump and sensor changed. Twice! Because they thought first one was faulty since I still had the problem. Then they thought it could be the ignition and/or the passlock. Apparently, the passlock is what thinks your car is being stolen and shuts it down for 10 minutes. However, they are each $600 and no guarantee that either is the problem and the car is out of warranty. Haven't done either. Has anyone with the 10 minute thing actually found a solution???

Robtorres90
10

I have the same exact problem. I have a 2006 H3 with 65,000 miles on it and same thing happens. I go to start it up and it turns over but doesn't start. I wait exactly 10 mins and it starts right up. I don't think it's the fuel pump, I think it has something to do with the security system. The car thinks it's being stolen.

Snerman
0

The ten minute wait period is defiantly security problem. When the vehicle will not start check the security symbol on your dash and if it is flashing then that is the problem. I have a 06 H3 and replaced the ignition switch and was better for awhile but started doing it again today. Another thing to try is take dielectric grease and put on all of the connections for the security and it might work.

geanyus
10

I have a 2008, H3 Alpha, and for the past two years I have had a similar problem. 1. Drive Hummer, shut off, get out. 2. Return some time later, attempt to start..no crank, yet all dash lights illuminate and the accessories work. 3. Thinking it was a slightly discharged battery, the first few times I tried to jump start...with no success. 4. Like magic after 10 minutes it fired right up, as if there is no problem. I bought a new battery, had it in the shop three times...no diagnosis because I can't replicate the problem. One constant is that it only happens in cold weather. Any advice...

cocod
145

just turn the key over till your lights come on wait 2 seconds then start...

Snerman
0

I have heard of one repair is to run wiring directly from the ignition switch to the Body control module for the security wring to eliminate the extra connections.The problem is cause by high resistance in cold weather.

Tracy Dial-Tipton
130

It's a pass lock issue and it's costly, I ended up trading mine in!

Jamiw4
10

I had the same problem with my 06 and realized that it was the anti theft kicking in it's in the owner book

cocod
145

Yep I got it figured out now.anti theft it is.

Thummer3
0

I agree. It is the GM Pass-Lock system part of the ignition switch. I had the exact same issue and tried cheap online bypass to the pass lock system. The only true fix for the problem is a GM dealership maintenance department Replace Ignition Switch. Problem went away going on 2 years ago and still good to go. This should be a recall and we should all ban together for a class action suit against GM, for once again instalcentsling the faulty units in 2003-2008 H3 Hummer ... . My total replacement cost (in Hawaii) $450.00 and they have to re-flash your ECM-Electronic Control Unit (engine computer) to learn the new ignition.Just my 2 cents...