V8 Conversion

Emanuel Torres
55

Asked by Emanuel Mar 19, 2009 at 11:46 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado

Anyone heard of a V8 getting dropped into a 2004? What about any other engine set-up other than the crappy I-5
that's in it? I want more power!!!

Vince Benedetto
65

Check out coloradofans.com and 355nation.net they both have lots of info. The factory actually put the 5.3 V8 in colorado's starting for the 09 model year.

A A-ron Mckiddy
25

as far as power...the 5.3 does get more torque and horsepower....but as far as 1/4 mile times ...there really is no difference...the 5.3 is a heavy motor...it does get more pulling power though

josephst007
10

"as far as power...the 5.3 does get more torque and horsepower....but as far as 1/4 mile times ...there really is no difference...the 5.3 is a heavy motor...it does get more pulling power though" this is not true. the 5.3 was available on the 08's as well it only weighs 37 pounds more than the 3.7liter in line five. and as far as a comparison. my grandpa has a crew cab 3.7l 09 i have an08 crew cab with the 5.3 and we can line up and he will punch it and i cant take off at three fourths throttle. it is way faster than the i5s

Brandon Russell
5

really the only performance v8 colorado ive seen is the colorado ss but it dosent look like chevy is goin to release that toy is in the foreseeable future. so when i get the chance im just goin to drop an ls2 and call it a day. :)

Stephen Sheppard
75

There is a company making a Super Charger for the I-5. About $4500.00

jrscolorado
0

Haven't heard of one for the 04's. Chevy dealers have brand new 5.3's complete for around $2600. You still have to buy the computer, wiring harness, motor mounts (kit available for about $700/$900. I've heard of a company in Fla makes them and accessories kit for about $700/$900. available from dealer. You also need front springs to handel the extra engine weight.

Matthew Kite
65

I have seen a LS3 in a Colorado. It was a bit extreme but had a lot of power and did require a new rear-end and four link suspension.