sudden acceleration

RJM670
0

Asked by RJM670 Feb 23, 2010 at 02:52 PM about the 2007 Kia Sedona

Do you know of any problems with sudden acceleration with the cruise control on(working).  We had this happen to us on Feb. 18th this year and were on the freeway.  We ended up blowing the engine.  The KIA rep. doesn't seem to want to acknowlege this as a problem or even talk about it.

AndreaM500
50

I took my Kia Optima 2004 in last month after the third sudden unintended acceleration event. We also have a 2004 Kia Sedona, but haven't had any problems with it yet. One of the events that happened in the Optima happened when the cruise was on. This time the cruise wasn't on. I almost plowed in to stopped cars 5 or 6 deep but took a quick detour on a sidewalk instead for about 25' before it stopped. The dealership checked it out, and Les Schwab also confirmed the breaks were fine. But I refuse to drive it or put my toddler in it.

ianc_home
40

We have a 2006 Kia Sedona ... shortly after purchasing it (in Nova Scotia, Canada) my wife and daughter had the scariest ride of their life with uncontrolled acceleration ... it started as she drove up an onramp and then was on the highway where it sped on it own ... she had presence of mind to call Kia as the van sped out of control down the highway ... she applied brakes with both feet which did not stop the van but disintegrated the brakes ... she tried everything else she was instructed to including neutral, etc. but no luck ... eventually she slowed the car enough with parking brake (I believe that was what she used) to get onto the shoulder and at Kia's recommendation slammed it into park ... eventally the van then stopped ... the tow truck driver was mystified ... Kia, of course said it was the floor mat which we never agreed with nor did the tow truck driver. We still own the van and must admit we still have serious questions regarding the possible cause of this ... time will tell but it sounds almost excatly what Toyota issue is!!!!

KMACNEIL
30

My wife and son had a very similar experience tonight in our 2009 Sedona (35,000 km). We too bought the van in Nova Scotia (Antigonish). Sudden acceleration, brakes would not apply when pressed (hard). She called me in tears, scared to death. Tow truck dragged it home. Tomorrow we call the KIA dealer to come pick it up. I'll keep you posted. It sure does sound the same as the Toyota problem.

Tuula
20

The father of our 5 kids was killed last month in a head on collision with a Kia Sportage 2007 who was going 100mph. The Kia was driven by an elderly man who never exceeds the speed limits. His son suspects a possible acceleration/gas pedal stick? He was also killed in the accident.

glorie679
50

Today at around 9am I was pulling into a parking spot at a Wendy's and had my foot on the brake slowing down when suddenly my 2008 Kia Sedona accelerated and jumped the curb and slammed into the drive thru barrier. I had it towed to the Kia dealership and had the brakes and gas pedal checked. The technician said there everything was fine and charged me $60 for the inspection. What is it going to take to get Kia to recognize that there may be a problem?

Kristi Simon
40

My 2010 Kia Sedona accelerated when I was trying to park. I hit a car. It caused damage to my van & another vechicle. Their was a change in stories. The dealership now says the only thing they can find wrong with it is the idler belt. They fixed it & said I am fine now. I know what hapened. I am so frustrated! And their is nothing I can do about it. :(

Kristi Simon
40

I mean idler pulley.

Hart66
30

My mother had similar sudden acceleration problematic with her 2008 Kia tonight. She was trying to drive into a parking spot while her foot on brake the car suddenly accelerated jumping the curb and hiting fence post. She said this isthe second time it happened to her. First time there was nothing in front of her she did not hit anything but tonight she hit the post.

Florida12
20

My father had a similar situation on 2 occasions with his new 2011 Kia Forte. After pulling into a parking space and while having his foot on the brake, he began to put the car into park (automatic transmission), the car suddenly accelerated. Both times the car the car jumped the curb and damage was caused to the vehicle. Although he pushed down harder on the brake, the car would not stop. The first time, he had to slam the brake 2 or 3 times until the car stopped. The second time this happened, the car stopped after hitting a tree. Currently the car is in the shop for repairs and we have taken the car to 2 different Kia dealerships to find out what is wrong with it. The car was put on the diagnostic both times and they also put the car on a "flight recorder". Each time they checked and tested the car, they say there is nothing wrong with the car and it checks out fine. I am currently dealing with the Kia Corporate offices and the representative just recently said "well, it's impossible for a car to move forward unless you put your car on the gas pedal". We will be filing a claim under the Lemon Law since this car is now only 6 months old and has under 2,200 miles on it. The Kia representative told me Kia has no recalls or previous reports of sudden acceleration or involuntary acceleration on any of their vehicles. Has anyone on this site reported their sudden acceleration problem to Kia Corporate offices?

Charlene Shipley
30

We are having a similar issue. When I turn my car on and pull it into drive, but still have my foot on the brake, it sounds like it is accelerating. If I let it run for a couple minutes it dies. It has also begun hesitating at certain speeds.

SandraH
70

On Monday of this week, my mother was reversing our 2005 KIA Sedona out of the driveway when it FLEW out of the driveway crossing the street and smashing into our neighbours house causing severe structural damage. From there it went across the street finally stopping at our next door neighbours. She is still in the hospital recovering from her injuries. She had no medical related problems and still does not know what happened. What I witnessed was the van flashing by out of the driveway and going airborne as it smashed into the house. I was shocked to read these postings and to see KIA had a recall on this vehicle. How did others handle their concerns.

glorie679
50

Where did you find out that KIA had a recall on the Sedona's??

SandraH
70

Various sites on the internet showed that the KIA Sedona 2005 had this problem. See details below. Recall ID # 05V329000 - VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:CABLES Recall Date:JUL 20, 2005 Component:VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:CABLES Model Affected:Sedona Units Affected:118447 Description ON CERTAIN MINI VANS, FREEZING CONDITIONS CAN CAUSE WATER ON THE THROTTLE CABLE TO FREEZE DURING NORMAL OPERATION. RESISTANCE TO MOVEMENT OF THE THROTTLE CABLE CAN OCCUR WHEN THE DRIVER LIFTS THEIR FOOT OFF OF THE GAS PEDAL. Consequence THIS CAN CAUSE THE CABLE TO STICK, THUS PREVENTING THE ENGINE FROM RETURNING TO IDLE AND CAUSING THE VEHICLE TO MAINTAIN SPEED OR ACCELERATE. SUCH AN EVENT CAN OCCUR WITHOUT WARNING AND COULD CAUSE A CRASH. Remedy DEALERS WILL MODIFY A PROTECTIVE SLEEVE AROUND THE THROTTLE CABLE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 15, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT KIA AT 1-800-333-4542. Manufacturer KIA MOTORS AMERICA, INC. SC-051 Read more: http://www.automotive.com/kia/sedona/2005/recalls/t3-12-2-1/#ixzz1nvkfwU6c

SandraH
70

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2002-to-2005-kia-sedona-9.htm See this link as well.

SandraH
70

This is the one posted by Transport Canada. http://www.auto123.com/en/used-cars/recalls/kia/sedona?make=Kia&model=Sedona

loraxinaz
10

I had this happen in our 2004 Kia Sedona with 100,000 Miles on it in October 2012. We were in mountains in southwest going about 60 miles per hour with the cruise on. I went to disengage the cruise as we approached a turn, and our van suddenly accelerated. Brakes would not slow it down and began to become unresponsive. Shifting to neutral allowed me to slow, but engine still revved above 6000 RPM's. Once I finally got it to the shoulder in neutral, I slammed it into park and turned off the key. We got it towed to a repair shop and found the cruise control module broke, snapping the cruise control cable connected to the throttle. The cable recoiled and yanked the throttle wide open. The mechanic disengaged the cruise control from the throttle and it could be driven normally. Scariest few minutes of my life, with a packed van, wife and three kids on a camping trip. We're just thankful there were no vehicles in front of us or going downhill!

PatjriciaG
0

PatjriciaG answered 3 seconds ago My 2008 Kia Rondo, purchased in 2009 with 645 miles on it, has had four major incidents with unintended acceleration while slowing to a stop with the brake on. It happened in May, June, & July of 2010 and then again about a week ago (10/2012). On two of those occasions, my husband and I had great difficulty stopping the car. I actually had to throw the car into park and turn it off to stop it once. Between 2010 and this month, I've noticed periodic small surges when slowing to a stop. This could happen several times per week then not at all for a while. It's totally unpredictable. Kia told us they were sending a Kia master mechanic to one of our local dealers in 2010 to check out the problem, but the guy never showed up. Now, because it had been just over two years since the last major problem, all they did was check the throttle body system and drive it for a day. They said they don't see anything wrong. I'm still waiting to hear back from corporate headquarters in California but am not expecting anything from them. I think they're in denial in view of all the other people on this site who've complained and have received no real action on the issue. I refuse to drive the car until something is resolved which makes life more complicated for my husband and me.

Anne Black
40

I had this happen just today at 4:40 pm MST. My 4-year old son was securely in his carseat, no injuries, buuuut... I was in stop an go traffic. While stopped, I allowed a lady in a dark green SUV to cross the median and get ahead of me. Traffic allowed the both of us to move forward. When I went to stop, my 2006 Kia Sedona EX accelerated. Once I hit her I felt my van still pushing her SUV forward! And I hit her pretty hard! My knee was locked tight and my brake was completely engaged. Everything on many fold down center console and passenger seat was on the floor. My steering wheel even bumped up in its elevation adjustment! Once we both stopped moving, without moving my foot to the brake, since it was already there, I put my van into park. I've replayed this in my head so many times already. Sudden unintended acceleration is all I can come up with! It is parked in my driveway. I am afraid to take it anywhere with any of my kids it! I'll call Kia local and Kia corporate in the morning, as well as my insurance so they know I am seriously concerned and want this looked into. Thank you all for your posts and info! :-)

You think this is helpful.
Florida1212
10

I posted almost a year ago under Florida12 on this site regarding my father's 2011 Kia Forte, and just wanted to post an update. We had pursued a case against Kia for Sudden Intendet acceleration and after approximately 6 months of vehicle inspections and correspondence with Kia and Federal and state government agencies where we complied with submitting piles of documentation we were able to procure a hearing with the State of Florida Office of the Attorney General, Florida New Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board as well as with the Lemon Law Arbitration Program. Even though the vehicle had been involved in 2 accidents caused by sudden intended acceleration and we had reported several incidents of the vehicle hesitating and small surges Kia's mechanics and "master mechanics" were all unable to find anything wrong with the car during any of the 5 inspections they performed. We had taken the car into 2 different Kia dealerships for inspections. Finally, we did have a mediator from the State of Florida and the case was found to have no liability for Kia. I have already filed complaints and reports of the problem with the car thru the National Highway and Safety Administration (phone # 1-888-327-4236) and they had told me there have been no other compalints on record with their office about the sudden acceleration issues with Kia. I highly recommend anyone on this who has had acceleration problems with their Kia to please call that number and file a complaint.

Anne Black
40

Correction, I mistyped the time. It was supposed to read 4:20 p.m. I just called Kia Motors America at 800-333-4542. They gave me a reference number and address to send photos and reports to the address they gave me. I called my insurance company so they are aware of my concerns. I will be calling the National Highway and Safety Administration (1-888-327-4236) in a moment. I hope they are still open. Then I'll be calling my local Kia dealer so they can look at my van and see what needs fixing.

Florida1212
10

My mistakes in previous postings should read "Sudden Unintended Acceleration". Hope you and your child are OK Ann. Good Luck with your pursuits but it will be next to impossible to have Kia admit there is anything "defective" with their vehicles. The representative we had assigned to us from Kia was very nice for the first couple of months, then he turned out to be just another clerk who could care less about problems with their cars. Make sure you keep impecible records, documenting dates, times and all conversations you have with everyone regarding the incident. I had a file over 4" thick when I finished and to no avail, Kia denied liability stating there is nothing wrong with the car and it was "driver's error". I wonder what it's going to take to get them to own up to their issues? I can see from this website that the Kia Sedona has had many problems with sudden unintended acceleration. Also, I had seen some postings on this site and other sited regarding the Hyundai having similar problems...they are made by the same company...

bernwisconsin
0

This happened to me yesterday with my daughter in the van. Our van is a 2006 Kia Sedona with 148,000 miles. We have never had any problem like this before. It occurred on the freeway, with my original speed was 70. I could not get the car to stop and shocked that the brakes were not working at all. I stopped the van by putting it in neutral. I am afraid to drive it. I do have it into the dealer for repair, but they claim that they cannot find anything. I have all this written down and will share it with them to help. I want to get a new car to feel safe again.

HDM
10

This is what's happening to me now. My 2011 Kia optima is having acceleration problems. Luckly I live in a small town and not much traffic. it could have been worse. I avoided the cars in fornt of mne and shifted to neutral . Then I dropped it off at the Kia dealership and they are checking it out.

MidDrive
20

Yesterday my husband was pulling into our garage and with his foot on the brake our 2010 Kia Sedona revved and tires spun. He immediately put it into park. When he put it into drive again it was fine. I called Kia this morning and have an appointment with my dealer today after work. Scared to drive this thing!

MidDrive
20

So I had the van checked out and "nothing is wrong". We are looking into buying another car.

yako
20

there is a lawsuit with kia

DorothyEllen
20

I am driving...not right now, my fourth Kia Sedona, 2003, 2006, 2010 and my brand new 2014. Yesterday while stopped at a light the 2014 accelerated with the brake fully depressed into the stopped car in front of us. It is now at the police reporting centre. We have had this issue with previous Sedona's but not to this extreme. The van is only 1 month old. "my retirement " vehicle. Although we have repeatedly reported these acceleration problems we have never gotten an answer. We are considering legal action as the Kia management is definitely not interested in solving the problem.

Cheryl Hayes
0

How is this for recent? We just had speeds up to 95 and could not stop our 2007 KIA Sedona using both feet on the brakes. The only thing we could do was put it in neutral...needless to say we will find out tomorrow if the engine is blown. Home safely after stranded on I-80 for 2hrs, waiting on a tow. Has there ever been a recall?

glorie679
50

Yako how do you know there is a lawsuit against Kia? I have never seen any recalls?

Suejax
0

I guess I have joined the club! Yesterday I put my 2003 Sedona into reverse and took off like a rocket. SUDDEN UNINTENDED ACCELERATION. The vehicle stopped only after hitting a telephone pole guide wire even though I had both feet on the brakes. Lost the back window but I will never drive this thing again. Too scary..