fueling problems

MatMat19
80

Asked by MatMat19 Nov 20, 2009 at 08:36 PM about the 2007 Suzuki XL-7

Everytime I pump gas in my tank, my engine won't start. I have to sit for a few minutes and after 3-4 attempts the engine finally starts. I started leaving my car running when I pump gas in the tank. While I'm pumping the gas, sometimes the engine sputters but keeps running and sometimes it simply conks out the minute I start pumping in the gas (i noticed it seems to conk out when the engine is really hot and/or I'm very low on gas). This first started about 2 months ago right after I got 4 new tires put on. My cahas never been the same since. A mechanic changed my spark plugs and bought a new gas cap, but it is till doing the same thing. It is a 2007 with 105,000 miles. Other than when I re-fuel, I have zero problems starting the car. Does anyone have any idea of what is happening or the cause of this problem?

Tom Le
635

you may want to check the fuel filter or replaced it if it has 105,000 and it has never been replace before its a good time to do it. You may have a lot of particles build up at the bottom of the tank and when you pump gas in it or low on gas it starts to suck up all the dirt. FYI its dangerous to fuel vehicles when its running. also its bad to let your gas go to empty cause like i said before the fuel pump sucks up dirt and it can cause a build up and eventually damage components

You think this is helpful.
fortjay123
50

It is ur purge solenoid sensor, the reason i know is i just replaced it. It cost 250 bucks and has to be ordered from suzuki

darral
30

i l have a 2002 sonata gls and it do the same thing after refueling. Otherwiseit run great! l don't undestand how the purge soleniod causes that kind of problem.explain to me if you can. Email me lostd131@aol.com thank you! t

nikdc20
20

Is the purge soleniod sensor the same as a purge valve? I am having the same problem as the initial post. 2007 XL7 roughly 105k miles....every time I get gas my car won't start back up. It has been doing this for a couple months. It takes almost 12 tries before it starts up. My mechanic hooked it up to a machine that registered that my car was fine. I had to take my mechanic with me to the gas station to prove to him what it was doing. I called a dealership (one of 2 in my state...neither are anywhere close to me) and they told me it might be a purge valve.

MatMat19
80

I am not sure if a purge solenoid sensor is the same as a purge valve but I would recommend you call the Suzuki parts place (google it on the internet) and Im sure they can tell you. When I replaced my purge solenoid ($139.63), it did solve the problem I was having with the engine not starting when I gassed up. BTW: I have since learned that if you need to purchase any parts, the Suzuki engine is made by GM so you can purchase GM parts instead of Suzuki parts (cross reference the parts numbers) and it is the identical part!! ...by purchasing the GM part, you will pay about 75% less. Not kidding!! I now have 184,000 miles on my XL7 and recently had to replace a couple of Actuators. The Suzuki part was $700 for each Actuator. We cross referenced the number to the GM parts and paid $100/each. It is infuriating how Suzuki will blatantly rip you off!! Good Luck!

Mitchie50
30

Did your check engine light come on? Mine does the same thing no check engine light. Dealer says your check engine light would come on if it is the purge valve. It realy hate to spend the money if that doesnt solve the problem.

salvador1000
170

I just fixed this same problem myself. Very simple. The car would not start after putting gas in. would just turn but not turn over until I gave it gas. I purchased a "purge solenoid valve" about $ 30.00. Remove the oil cap and engine cover. Behind the engine near top you'll see a line connecting down to a device that's bolted onto the engine. To remove the top connection you have to push sideways on a small plastic protrusion while pulling on the unit to release it from the catch lock. Do the same thing with the one attached directly to the valve on the right(driver's side). Now unbolt the valve and remove it. remove the lines from it and put them on the new valve. Bolt it back in and reconnect by pushing the small plastic sideways and insert into connection and release. Push on it lightly to make sure it is locked in place. And that's it--put the cover back on and screw the oil cap on. Here's a link that shows where the valve is. It's #2 on the drawing. http://www.2carpros.com/questions/suzuki-xl7-2007-suzuki-xl7-purge-solenoid-valve-location

sideman
10

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate these post. I having the same gas up and starting problem right now and I can't tell you how relief I am at least to get an idea of what could be going on. I have also being trying to avoid paying unnecessary diagnostics fees. After speaking to several part dealers and mechanics i was even more confused. Their answers range from bad gas, clean fuel system and even a mechanic told me to change my battery. I just couldn't see the relationship to the battery since otherwise the car starts normally.

Brynrdh
40

I too have the same problem with my 2007 suzuki xl7 with 120,000 miles. I purchased it used and it has the restart issue when fueling as well. This is the only time it does this. If I pump the gas while turning the key it will start after 1 minute. Sometimes it sputters out if I was on empty. I changed the gas cap thinking it was a bad seal but that did not work. It also is making a rattle sound when I turn left while inclining ( not a click click sound ). :- /

Brynrdh
40

There is a recall on certain vin#s of the 2007 xl7 for the fueling tank system. XL7 FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP Recall number: 12V597000 Recall date: 12/20/2012 Problem Summary: AMERICAN SUZUKI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 XL-7 VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA, NEVADA, AND TEXAS; AND MANUFACTURED JUNE 13, 2006, THROUGH DECEMBER 22, 2006. SOME OF THESE VEHICLES HAVE A CONDITION IN WHICH THE PLASTIC SUPPLY OR RETURN PORT ON THE FUEL PUMP MODULE MAY CRACK, WHICH COULD CAUSE A FUEL LEAK. Consequence: FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE MAY RESULT IN A FIRE.

Dawn1991
55

This was a problem with my 2007. We think we have it fixed. It turned out there was moisture under the fuse box, and corrosion on many wires coming from it (including the fuel pump connection) . It took them 6 months, four visits, (one included a battery change), and two times sending a tow truck...finally they have it fixed they believe. Still waiting on it and have a loaner.

malikah
0

I have a 2003 Suzuki xl7 and I have a problem with the ignition switch. I have 162 miles. I would like to no if there was a recall for this problem