history of timing chain or oil problems for the 2004 model?

billiekelly
25

Asked by billiekelly Apr 24, 2008 at 12:19 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

My car just died after the timing chain broke off and messed up the engine....Does that sound right? the car has just over 40,000 miles on it. No oil light came on no check engine light came on. Is there a history of this kind of thing happening in this car?

25,765

No, not that I've heard of. Sorry for your trouble. Is it still under warranty?

beckymc
70

My 2005 Cavalier is at the Chev Dealership now-- the timing chain messed up and has messed up the valves. A chain is supposed to go for more than 56,000 miles. I think this is a Chev defect and they should pay for it. A belt is advertised to last 60,000, I though a chain was supposed to last the engine life or more than 100,000 miles. I'm videotaping the chain and valves.

Larry Thibert
1,040

yell,scream,make a lot of noise,the dealer will do something for you...this is a big problem..it all starts with a defective chain tensioner...and they know this...think how much it would cost gm to recall this.....

Matt Kunkle
55

how did it break off? the chain itself broke? the guide broke and made the chain skip and mess up the timing bending valves? how full was your oil?...the tensioner is hydraulic and won't work if oil is too low...unfortunately the check oil light won't come on until you are way lower than what is necessary to work the tensioner...can be missed if oil wasn't checked (happened to me with an oil leak - caused by the dealer - chain became loose and broke the guide & chain slipped, thankfully didn't alter my timing enough to bend any valves)...I never heard of a chain just break

Robby Gibbons
175

I prevoiusly worked at a GM Dealership. The eco-tech engine doesnt have an extreme problem with the timing chain, Although i have seen a few. Symtoms start with the engine making some noise, if this goes with out repair soon it can result in breakage of the chain. The engine is an "interfearence engine", meaning if the timing is incorrect, the valves will open at the incorrect time causing the piston to contact them, resulting in bent valves or worse. The common failure to cause this is water pump failure, timing chain tensioner failure, or chain guide failure. Sometimes things just break...no matter how many miles. I currently have a 2002 cavalier ls sport coupe with the 2.2 eco-tech that has the water pump makeing some "bearing" noise. I will be replaceing it soon. I will take some pictures of the procedure if anyone would like some, i could post them up. Caution: I would not recommend attempting to work on the water pump/timing chain system if you are not familiar with it. It is pretty complex (2 chains, 2 cams, 2 tensioners, 2 balance shafts, and the water pump.) Not to mention the multiple guides!

papabear333
200

hi i have a 2005 cavalier she had jumped her timing got a new timing chain but i am looking where to find a diagram to look at ...would u no of any where online that i can look? its a 2.2 ecotec.. if you could would be greatly apprieacted. Thank You ..u can email me at tina_vey@hotmail.com

papabear333
200

oh the timing chain never broke...just got a new one anyways...it looks stretched.

sassaralla
90

I just replaced my timing chain, contacted GM regarding this as it went at 70,900 kms there are issues with them and the oil nozzle, the aftermarket one is redesigned to allow more oil on the chain. GM advised me to keep my receipts. The only light I was getting was Check engine light I even had it at dealer for code PO172

sassaralla
90

My 2004 cavalier had timing chain issues, 985 dollars later it is fine, 70,900 kms on my car. My tachometer and speedometer on car are also normal now for some reason. The aftermarket timing chain kits oil nozzle has been redesigned from the original to allow more oil to the chain. I advised GM regarding this as I was only getting code P0172 I advise everyone if there timing chain is off let GM know. There are issues with this happening on the 2.2 L ecotec manual transmissions. I was advised to keep my receipts.

rottenbergerf
40

can you tell me the part number for that aftermarket kit or even the manufacturer of it, I am having the exact same issue and GM swears there is no problem with the oiler

kymmypitkin
60

I have a 2003 cavlalier, and the timing chain broke about a year ago and took out key parts in the engine causing me to have to replace the entire engine. I was about 74,000 miles. No lights ever came on in my car and I had just had an oil change done. Now a year later my car is making a ticking sound that sounds as though it could the timing chain again.

papabear333
200

my car wasnt even paid off and i had to go buy a new motor...mine was a 2005...hickmans do nothing...there are three doors that dont work on my car and drivers window is sticking..hick mans solid me a lemon...its a 2005 cav...i even called them and they dont do nothing...timing chain goes motor gone..fools up pistons...sorry to hear...i know how your feeling..only 6 yrs old never made it to 5....

papabear333
200

coppertop
10

Have a 2004 chev. cavalier, same thing happened to me. timing chain broke, valves bent ect. Replaced drivers side window motor. Car is a money pit. Don't know how companies can get away with this , with so many people having the same problems. - Leslie

papabear333
200

Hi i bought a lemon from hickmans....my cavilier is only 6 yrs now...befor i paid off . timing chain was gone...three doors on my car dont work. and had to buy a new motor...with payments still owing on her...think ill do a video and sent into the news...but yes when the timing chain goeas u usualy have to get a new motor ...let me know how u make out ty...

timtgg
30

2004 was the last year they made a cavalier. They started Cobalts in 2005 but sold some last year's Cavaliers as New 2005 You won't find a Manufactured in 2005 on it anywhere.

timtgg
30

My cavalier had a bad driver's side elec. window motor the day we bought it new and twice afterward. I heard Timing Chain was not an issue with this car but mine jumped time when my wife tried to start it two weeks ago. 123,000 Miles. I'll fix it myself, most of the Dealers are crooked, especially Kenny Ross ,and he never really had an aunt Penny!

2005owner
30

I have a 2005 cavalier so I don't know what the person was talking about 2004 being the last year of them. But I'm also having problems with the timing chain. So what have peoples main signs that it's gone or bad?? My whole engine is lugging and sputtering.

Nina Clinard
60

I have a 2002 cavalier and it's loud under the hood near the serpentine belt andpullies. Not sure if this is where the timing chain is or not. It seems to shift weird or hard around 45 and 50. Not sure if this is a tranny problem or could be the timing chain. My abs light is on. Check engine light comes off and on but we had that checked. o2 sensor and throttle position sensor. My trac off light comes on sometime when I'm sitting at a stop light and start to take off it shifts real hard then the light comes on. The only way to fix it put it in park and turn off the car and then restart it. Please someone help me with this. Don't know alot about cars or chevy thanks a bunch.

Jason Cole
40

I have a 2004 Chevy Cavalier and I was told my timing belt broke and threw out rods in one side of the engine. It has less than a 100,000 miles on it. As well there was no light,no warning nothing. I keep the oil changed and the car maintenance done, interior and exterior well kept. It was 8 years old when it died. Can we file a suit of some kind against Chevy?

Jason Cole
40

I accidentally created this account with my son's Facebook account because he was logged in on my tablet.

Ebazz1
10

I recently needed to get my driver window motor replaced and my. 2005 cavalier is in shop needs a motor timing chair broke pistons and valve shot don 't know what to do only. 52,000 miles has Chevy customer service made this good for anyone?

cavalier2003
0

I have a 2003 cavalier, the car would shakes and stall and have no power. I changed the timing chain, cataletic converter, plugs and coil pack. Since i changed the timing chain it seems to sound better when at high RPm but when you let off the gas it goes down to idle shakes and the dies. when trying to start it agian does not start right away.

Gregor360
0

I bought my 2004 cavalier brand new, I now have 215k miles on it. I have always changed the oil every 3k miles myself, never any engine problems. Original water pump, altenator and clutch. Im on my 4th set of plugs and 3rd serpentine belt, witch I changed BEFORE they failed. Prevenitive maintenance is key.

Debbie Stroupe
0

I got a 2004 cavalier sport one day it started fine the next day it won't start was told it was the starter spent 189.00 for a starter still nothing come to find out it's the timing chain. It's the chain tensioner on the 2.3 echo tech the dealer knows that was an is a problem cause they fixed that on the newer ones they should have to fix ours GM made their money getting rich selling 1000'a of lemons with this problem. They should have to pay back the people who don't paid to fix theirs and fix the ones who aren't fortune enough to have that kind of money to fix ours . GO these cavaliers are lemons and you are well aware of that and don't care as long as your getting rich off people. And also I've done replaced my clutch, pressure plate, and every thing. Both window motors, and front wheel bearings. GM 2004 cavalier LEMONS LEMONS.

Debbie Stroupe
0

I mean 2.2 echo tech