What is ABS Service mean?

Brunoqueen
40

Asked by Brunoqueen Oct 23, 2012 at 07:15 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Uplander

The dashboard is reading , ABS Service?

68,185

ABS = Anti-lock braking system , and the light is on because the vehicles system has detected a problem with a wheel sensor or the module itself. Have a competant mechanic diagnose the issue for you, since the light is on, your car will not brake using the ABS system.

Brunoqueen
40

So your say the brake will not work with the light on ???

John Leone
3,845

ABS, antilock brake system, common to come on after a dead battery, or so...the system is designed to pulsate the brake pads to slow the vehicle, instead of one direct "grab", prevents skidding, and helps maintain control of the car...I see it is an uplander, (if you haven't already), call your local gm/chevy dealership, with your vin number, (17 digits), and ask for open-pending recalls. I know there used to be when I was with GM, 3ish years ago...regardless, also to my knowledge: there is a sequence to which you can reset it yourself....http://car-and-safety.com/service/chevrolet-uplander-2005.htm that website was not to scare you, but more inform you of potential issues, I will however, (after coffee, return with the reset sequence), :)

John Leone
3,845

your car will function properly and safely, yes, the abs activates at around 15-30 miles an hour on its own, you will not feel a difference, the common issue was the left front wheel speed sensor, (like $500. at the dealer)

John Leone
3,845

quick attempt off the top of my head, cycle the key, from off, to on to off, 3 times, should clear it (if i remember correctly)

DavidH25

If I may, I hope Tom does not mind me answering for him, that is not what he said.The ABS system may not work, but that does not mean the car will not stop. If you can find a place to do it safely, get up to about 35-40 and do a "panic" stop and try to feel if the petal pulsates. If you feel it do so, the ABS is working. Please be careful, a deserted paved road and no loose objects in car. But just as Tom and John said, have it looked at by a compentant mechanic regardless. . Brakes are, to state the obvious, important and the light is on for a reason; be more concerned about the absolute best working function of the brakes than the light being on.