2005 Chev. Impala, enginge life?

bowzer108
0

Asked by bowzer108 Mar 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Impala

I found a nice looking and driving 2005 Impala. It has 150,000 miles on it. 3.4 engine V6.
I have read mixed reviews that its engine life is over, and also that it can go another 150,000 miles.
I know it depends upon how well taken care of it is. But is there any other issue? Should I just pass it up?
Its for $4,000.00. Thanks!

49,695

Keep changing the oil and watching out for the lower intake manifold leak. The engine should last the life of the car. The Grand Am folks use a larger oil filter but I don't remember the size.

mrmoony
1,990

The simplest test to do is stick your finger in the tail pipe and rub it. If it is all sooty it means engine not so healthy. If it is clean or a gray ashy kind of look the engine is probably healthy.

15,955

My Niece bought her '05 Impala new. Same engine. No issues. She only has about 60,000 miles on it though. The 3.4s tend to blow head gaskets. So be mindful of that. Run a vehicle history report like carfax or auto check. If it's been a company car, or rental car be careful! These tend to not be taken care of as well. When you test drive it pay close attention to the transmission. The shift solenoids tend to be troublesome & aren't cheap to fix if one fails!! Good luck! HTH. -Jim