Check engine light

Clydebarrow
0

Asked by Clydebarrow Jul 11, 2010 at 06:59 PM about the 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser

I have a 2007 PR Cruiser with 36,000 miles on it.  The check engine light came on; I tightened the gas cap, and it went off.  This happened more than once, replaced the gas cap, that didn't help.  Now the check engine light is on permanently, the car "bucks" and misses when I begin driving - that kicks in at 4000 rpm.  After several miles, if I give it gas lightly, the car begins running smoothly.  The check engine light is staying on.  It almost seems like a vapor lock when it's misbehaving.  Anyone know what's causing this?

KrisPTCruiser
80

The check engine light is truly an idiot light that once tripped stays on for a set period. When you replaced the cap it could have just timed out. Gas cap loose is only one source though and would not cause the engine to misfire. When the light blinks it is multiple trips and the source is repeating the trigger. When the engine misfires you have an electrical issue that the ignition computer cannot accommodate. If you are lucky the On Board Diagnostics may indicate the specific sensor that is failing. Try hooking up an OBD reader and see. Prime suspect would be the upstream Oxygen or Cam sensor.

papa

change your fuel filter and have your fuel pressure checked,you could also have a bad coil pac.

hismiths
110

papa, Change fuel filter? Doesn't that require removing the gas tank in a PT? I would like to change mine, but am daunted by the prospect.

papa

NO,their is a sock filter that hooks to the FP in tank,the fuel filter is located above or at back of tank,some are under rear bumper cover.

hismiths
110

Well, well ... and the Stealership told me they had to remove the fuel tank. Why am I not surprised?

willerd
40

here is a question not an answer. my 2003 pt turbo cruiser has the check engine light flashing . when I tried the 3x on/off on/off on/off that was posted it did not bring up any error code where the trip odometer is. should this little helpful trick work on a 2003 model OR does this only work on newer models?? any feedback is great. thank you.

Richard Jones
205

get the trouble codes by turning the ignition switch on and off, on-off, on-off this will give you codes. The code i get most often and gives me simular trouble is #0139 and #0138 which are the oxygen sensors upper and lower. also check your electric fan at the radiator if the car is running hot it can give you the same problem. at 36.000 it is still under warranty and if it is the O2 sensors they are covered til 70,000

stanwomen
0

I HAVE AN 07 PT CRUISER. I PUT A MOTOR IN IT AND NOW IT BUCKS ENGINE LIGHT ONY COME ON UPON THE BUCKING. CODE READ COIL, I CHANGE IT, CODE SAID CAM SENSOR I CHANGED IT. I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO WITH IT.

stanwomen
0

please help

Fawn Dexter
0

Take it to Auto Zone and have it put on the computer. This will give you a diagnosis: an actual starting point. Sounds like oxygen sensors to me. The engine light won't go off until you have driven it approx 50 miles. Also check freon in AC for engine light.