engine light

FlyinHigh
30

Asked by FlyinHigh Mar 21, 2013 at 02:51 PM about the 2007 Pontiac G6

my daughter's 07 G6 engine light has been on for a couple months now. We have tried the fuel cap thing with a reset but it came back on. I understand that there are more than one possibility. Someone said something about a vaacum solonoid? Make any sense?? Also, the O2 sensor would be suspect, correct? In addition, and perhaps not coincidentally, her remote starter suddenely quit working the same time the engine light came on.  Possible connection between the two? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

DavidH25

Get your codes read at a large parts store. they will do it free, but do not buy anything. Write the codes down and bring them back here, one of us will be happy to help you figure out what to do next. Whatever is wrong needs to be fixed, secondary to just getting the light to go off

judge_roy

yes please. assured exhaust system destruction is a result of not changing the 02 sensor....some are expensive platinum but will do their job even when worn to a nub. what it's after is minute changes in the exhaust. The key fob most likely need a new battery...well like they say trouble comes in threes....or at least this is the way we notice it!

DavidH25

PS yes, 02 sensor is possible, but one on many ...and 'vacuum solenoid' your adviser is probably referring to the EGR, another distinct possibility

judge_roy

instead of goin' a parts store, you could buy your own scan tool. they ain't too much money, look on ebay there most assuredly will be a bargain for your OBD-II or is it III either will be read from this somewhat inexpensive device.

DavidH25

"Beans" not Bean"?

DavidH25

True. They can be had for under $50, including several different port wire terminals with different number of pins before they became standardized but a 2007 is standard OBD no 'adapters' necesary

FlyinHigh
30

she had it checked the other day...the code is "P0 446" Parts store printed out possibilities: ECM fail EVAP canister restricted EVAP fresh air vent clogged EVAP vent solonoid STP sensor out of calibration fuel vapor lines clogged or damaged. The other features controlled by the key fob work fine....all but the auto-start. Thanks fellas

DavidH25

P0446- Evap Emission Ctrl Sys Vent Ctrl Circ Error..from the GM website

FlyinHigh
30

thank you. what needs to be done?

judge_roy

either blast the canister clean with compressed air and return it to normal or purchase a new one. Charcoal gets suffocated with liquid gas instead of vapors because someone wanted to put every last drop into the gastank..tsk tsk...this is a naughty thing to do, and now you pay the price...computer's mad at you and won't shut up until this canister is used 'till dry or is changed out with a pickNpull replacement for cheap.

judge_roy

"s" is from henry went on vacation. I'm gettn' used to it...YOU don't know from beans!

FlyinHigh
30

so, ah, hate to sound like a nitwit, but what cannister and where??

judge_roy

it is a charchoal canister that has a tube that connects to the nose of the fillpipe, so that gasoline fumes are captured rather then being let into the ozone layer destroying upper atmosphere- When you overfilled the tank, it could not breathe those fumes and computer went into a panic because it's lookin for that air to snuzzle down inside the intake, so it won't take a voyage skyward where will cause icecaps to melt and real estate get valuable in greenland, and iceland melting down to it's volcanic core...etc.

judge_roy

It is about the size of a folger's can has a couple of connections, in and out...computer gets mad when you start messin with air/fuel ratios and fuel-log doesn't burn/get measured by the computer very easily. I'm really mad at you right now for not considering the instructions provided....everyone knows "FIRST CLICK" and NO more!

45,675

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12607

FlyinHigh
30

Please, Judge...just give me one more chance! I'll never click again! I will either clean out or replace the cannister and thereby make the computer a happy little camper yet again, not to mention keeping Iceland afloat. Thanks very much

judge_roy

You know, if you aren't gettin' an O2 flag, you COULD use the black tape solution...just run near empty....a couple of weeks, then you could remove the black tape, but ONLY if this evap problem is it!

judge_roy

I hereby sentance you to respect your car and be sure the tires are inflated correctly! court dismissed.

45,675

It may be covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty - it covers emissions related components for vehicles up to 8 years after the in service date or up to 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. --

judge_roy

So what you are sayin' tenspeed is that components can be replaced on the automaker's nickel? guess you'll need a receipt and the defective part!~

FlyinHigh
30

doesn't seem worth the effort to make a yellow light go away. I may try the pressurized air-cleaning/drying effort first then replace if required. You guys are alright!

judge_roy

Why bother? it goes away all by itself...couple of days or weeks at the most. Monkeyin' with stuff is like, just let the tiger sleep. please. but if curiousity makes you want to dig in and get a feel for what goes down in this town...you have only your own wits to teach something to-

Todd Lowe
30

The key fob automatically shuts down when the check engine light comes on.