Car won't do anything when you try to start it, happens intermittently, not always.

debss
0

Asked by Mar 08, 2013 at 08:32 PM about the 2007 Hyundai Sonata

Hyundai starting problem-simply no action on the ignition switch but power to all other systems appears fine.  Replaced electrical and mechanical side of ignition switch.  Also tore apart and tested all of starter and bought a new battery.  Took to a Hyundai dealership mechanic and they did not have any ideas on problem.  We thought perhaps replacing the key cylinder would finally fix the problem but it appears it not as the problem is starting to occur again.  Not sure what to try next????

...at this point am going to have to recommend that you get a copy of the schematic, a set of wire piercers for testing the wires, both when the problem is occuring and when it's not occurring...with the piercers, you don't have to disconnect anything, makin testing a jif-

7jimmy7
16,705

theirs a reley for that you know,may have dirty points in relay

Jim. dig deeper clue us one or two~

mrmoony
2,820

My guess is the starter is being starved of enough amperage. It may, like the rest of the cars electric system be getting some amps along with 12volts, but not enough "juice". If the starter itself has a marginal ground I.e. loose bolts or even a oily mounting flange, it won't allow the current to go through the system.

7jimmy7
16,705

bobby you know you could write a book on possibles,and create confusion,look at the simple first! and move thrue

Michaelocar
40

Could it be worn cylinders in the ignition switch?

cma901
50

any updates on this problem? my 2013 sonata is doing the same thing

Bunnys3000
120

Our 2006 Sonata is doing the same thing. It will start without issue for weeks, then it will take 20 mins of turning the key to get it to start for a week. All electrical works during the non starts and all fuses and relays are good. Was going to replace the starter but have seen too many on here throwing parts at the problem with no resolution. Will never purchase another Hyundai.

imonefun
10

The ignition lock cylinder and the ignition lock cylinder housing Likely the solution. My total cost with labor was $653.09. On 3/13/2012 at 11:08:11 A.M, under Hyundai case 4758349 (established while this vehicle was within warranty) .My headlights, bright beams, radio and clock simultaneous become disabled and any attempt in the normal course of operating this vehicle to shift the car between park and drive causes a loud grinding noise. This issue corrected itself after another grinding noise when shifting the gear lever into park and the car began functioning normally. At some point out of warranty the vehicle wouldn't start from the ignition. After replacing The ignition lock cylinder and the ignition lock cylinder housing the issues are solved

sonnys231
40

I own (2) Hyundai's, ignition switch failure cost around $500, not counting the cost of towing. The second car is now in the dealer....yes, another failed igintion switch. I give up!!!! two different Sonatas with costly ignition repairs!! Where's the quality control, Hyundais "Mute" on this issue

RAMOS1
40

a small piece of plastic breaks and block the key from turning.... causes KEY CAN NOT TURN...LOCK SMITH that knows this can remove the broken plastic.... replacing IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER (ilc)is not permanent fix.. plastic that breaks is from switch that alarms when you leave key in car.... cost is $70.00 in jax fl.... IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER IS OK..... RAMOS1 IN JAX FL

mikeclemons
130

If the people answering these questions would do a little research they would find this is actually a very common problem with 06-09 sonata and azera. I have the same exact problem and have tried every biy of advice I've found but still no solution. There's even a place to file an official complaint to attempt to get a recall. Unfortunately at the time of this post I don't remember the website.I will tell you what I have done maybe one of these will work for you. I have cleaned the ground contacts for the battery thrn replaced the battery replaced the solenoid and starter and a new ignition switch. still doesn't start randomly. The weird thing is I could drive it casually for 5 minutes and it won't start I can drive it really hard for 3 hours and it will start afterward. its done it in the winter and summer. one time it wouldn't start for 2 days and it was winter. if you figure it out plz contact me.

mrmoony
2,820

Park switch or another safety switch so the vehicle cannot be started in gear might be killing the signal to activate starter?

mikeclemons
130

I'm not sure if that is the answer the times it doesn't start I just sit there and turn the key off then try to start then off then try to start etc... I don't do anything other than that and eventually it starts. Like I've said positive it's not the starter or battery. I'm afraid to mess around with the ignition switch on my own know nothing about the antitheft. Someone told me to check the points just afraid it'll mess with the antitheft system.

mikeclemons
130

Unless of course you are saying the switch is giving the ignition or starter a false signal that it is not in park/neutral.

mrmoony
2,820

Yes, maybe ramming the shifter around a little while trying to start it next time it acts up may yield results.

Paul William Howell
10

I'm having this issue right now. I've tried moving the shifter around....nothing. I put in neutral....nothing. I've come to the conclusion that this car is a piece of crap and the company dropped it in the toilet (consumers) by making it affordable to those that can afford better cars.

Bunnys3000
120

We finally got rid of the Sonata since we could not resolve this issue. We spent hours researching only to find that every blog related to this ended up the same, no definite resolution. Just when we were ready to throw another part at it, further research revealed that is wasn't a starter (or whatever) issue after all. Lots of people paying mechanics and dealers to throw parts at it to no avail. The problem would appear to be resolved only to resurface again days or weeks later. The problem we had was that the key WOULD turn EVERY time, sometimes the car would start, sometimes it wouldn't, the power ALWAYS worked, the battery and fuses all good. Turn the key on and off for 30 mins the car may or may not start, move the shifter around the car may or may not start, reset the battery the car may or may not start, reset the security system the car may or may not start. What SEEMED to work one time would not work the next. Non start happened in all weather, humid or dry, it happened when the car was hot or cold, the car would start consistently for months, then not start often for months. No rhyme or reason. We traded the car in on a new car, told the dealer there were starting issues, got a message from the dealer the next day "whats the secret to starting this? Is it the security system?" That is the $64,000 question. I will never buy or recommend a Hyundai. Good luck to the rest of you!

Juni2002
20

I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. Several times in the past if the key wouldn't turn I took the key out & flipped it over, then it started right away. I just had a new problem today where, when I turned the key, nothing happened. There was no power at all. My husband connected our portable battery charger to the battery & the car started immediately, but I'm not sure that was what actually helped. It may be that it just decided to start. When we got the car home, it started a few times & then didn't start--same issue with no power at all. Auto zone suggested it is either the ignition switch ($17.99) or the park/neutral safety switch, which is located on top of the transmission & easy to reach ($34.99). The way to check for the park/neutral safety switch is, if the car won't start in park, put it in neutral. If it still won't start, it is the park/neutral safety switch--I have to wait until I have the problem again to check that. My mechanic will replace either of these for $50 or less (in addition to the cost of the part). If one's car is no longer under warranty, it may be prudent to find a good independent mechanic. I live in a town of about 60k people, so in a bigger city one may pay more than I would have to pay, but I know several people in rather large cities (i.e., Columbus, OH) who still pay very reasonable rates for mechanical work on their cars. Good luck!

danilok
50

I am dealing with this same problem with a customer of mine with the same car, 2007 sonata. In my experience, this sounds like a transistorised part such as the computer or other device. Neutral safety switches and ignition switches are physical parts that slide into place to make contact. Any deficiencies in those would be obvious upon inspection of the actual contact points. Contacts that are weak would cause hot-spots that would show in the wiring or the contacts themselves. I will have to dig into a schematic to find any transistorised parts or if the starting system is tied into the computer. If I do find a solution, I will post it here. Danilo Fort Lauderdale, Florida

hjones5555
30

Took my 2006 sonata to the dealership, they replaced the ignition switch and within 2 weeks it was doing the same thing. Just going to throw this fact into the mix - but probably has no bearing whatsoever -- but after the ignition switch was replaced, it started doing this again when my car was parked on a slight downhill slant (and the first time pre-ignition switch) I always use my parking break. Since the initial time and initial time after new ignition switch the slant of my park doesn't matter. I was parked in a level garage and it wouldn't start all day until my boyfriend got rough with it by shoving the steering wheel, moving the gear shift, etc). I take it back to the dealership on Monday and will request to speak with the General Manager, then write a lengthy letter to the Consumer Assistance Center. I'm not sure if Hyundai will issue a recall, but it couldn't hurt for each one of us who are having the same problem to document our actions and let them know how much money we have spent (keep your receipts!) One more thing...according to the "Owner's Handbook Supplement" (see 1st three pages) ".....it is recommended that you take the following steps" 1) Contact your Hyundai dealer and speak with the Service, Parts or Sales Manager. 2)If your concern is not resolved, contact the General Manager or the owner of the dealership either by phone, in person, or in writing. 3) If your concern cannot be resolved quickly by the dealership personnel or management, contact Hyundai's Consumer Assistance Center at 800-633-5151, or write to: HYUNDAI MOTOER AMERICA CONSUMER ASSISTANCE CENTER 10550 Talbert Avenue P.O. Box 20850 Fountain Valley, CA 92728-0850 The book will tell you what to include in your correspondence. Good luck to everyone.

danilok
50

For the average person, this may be a bit too technical, but for a seasoned lad, this should be quite easy. This knowledge is based on the diagram from the Haynes manual. I started by disconnecting the wire from the body control module that ties into the starting system. I originally had a remote start switch connected to the two leads that become connected by the starter relay. The problem still persisted. That very quickly narrowed the search to a wire or some other part not listed in the wiring diagram between the relay and the starter. Since then I connected the remote switch directly to the starter and she has not yet had a moment the remote switch did not work. I will try running new wires from the relay to the starter and see if that solves the problem. If not, I will just run new wires directly from the ignition switch to the starter. Cheers and I hope this helps everyone else out there. Danilo Fort Lauderdale, Florida

BryanCA
10

My 2007 Sonata has the same intermittent starting problem that has been described by the previous posts. The Hyundai dealership does not know what is causing the problem. The park/neutral safety switch was replaced (parts + labor = $333.00) and did not fix the problem. I was just hours away from starting to put in what ever parts might fix the problem (starter, relay, etc.). Now I'm totally confused as to what I should do next. It appears that several people have already been in my position and have replaced all of the parts I just mentioned. I'm not sure what to do next. If anyone has more insight, I'm all ears. Bryan

jctony
0

my car 09 hyundai sonata was not really flooding but the engine got wet and everything is work is just wont start sound like stater damage, or but some people say the engine is damage is lock because was flooding, i call de dealer ship and they yold they have to check.

emerald777
10

Why have these card not been recalled for these problems... I'm so sick of mine doing the same thing. 03 Hyundai sonata. Happens more when more moisture in air or when it rains... but mine just turns off while driving... everything goes dim...lights. ...then power starts to get lost... then dead! And sometimes just won't start.

danilok
50

I was able to find a solution to my customer's problem. I replaced the starter and the problem has disappeared. Cheers. Danilo, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

brookdecost
10

I have a 2006 sonata with this same damn issue. Ways i have gotten it to start are putting it in neutral letting car roll back than slam it into park and bam it starts up. However obviously this isn't a fix just a way to get it to start for you. Also I have got out vehicle set alarm wait couple seconds turn off alarm and get it and try starting it again. Everytime my car does this either one of those has gotten my car to start.

A_Travis
0

I too am having an intermittent starting problem with my 2006 Hyundai Sonata 93,700 miles. I have had the battery, alternator and starter checked and all are fine. The starter always starts when being tested. I can drive across the street, stop and try to restart my car and it won't start. Then I can drive for a week or more without any problems. The dealership wants $112 to do a diagnostic test. Has anyone had a diagnostic test done for this problem? A. Travis

BryanCA
10

I had every diagnostic test the dealership could perform and they could not locate the problem. I ended up trading my car in for a Toyota.

hjones5555
30

Its a total shame, but I had to trade my 2006 sonata way before I was ready. My sonata had 176,000 miles when the ignition switch started acting up. I feel fortunate that it didn't happen 100k miles ago like some of you. If it weren't for all of the other things that went wrong in the span of 24 months (transmission, condenser, compressor, Both oils seals, set of tires, pinging noise that spark plugs didn't fix) I probably would have hung in there to find the solution but Hyundai needs to step up to the plate. BTW, I bought a Honda.

calloption
10

Same problem as described on Azera 2007. Wiggle the steering wheel and it starts every time. Good Luck

A_Travis
0

Thanks, I will try that the next time it won't start. Been 2 days now since it wouldn't start.

A_Travis
0

Twice today my 2006 Hyundai Sonata wouldn't start. Wiggling the steering wheel did not work for me. I always keep something to read with me. After a while (20-30 minutes), my car started, both time. I'm keeping a log but so far I'm unable to detect a pattern.

brewerkyle
10

This happens to my 2006 Hyundai Sonata as well. Had a mechanic adjust the park / neutral safety switch that is located on top of the transmission under the battery case. This helped some the car starts way more often but still every once in a while we need to move the shifter from park - reverse - neutral - drive and back up. If this doesn't work we push on the back of the car rocking it back and forth 3-4 times "this moves the switch with the flywheel" then it starts every time so far. I'm wondering if contact cleaner would help the problem. I really don't want to try to adjust the switch again. It don't want to make it worse. Hopes this info helps someone and looking for any advice on the issue. Thanks