Car won't do anything when you try to start it, happens intermittently, not always.

debss
0

Asked by debss Mar 08, 2013 at 08:32 PM about the 2007 Hyundai Sonata

Hyundai starting problem-simply no action on the ignition switch but power to all other systems appears fine.  Replaced electrical and mechanical side of ignition switch.  Also tore apart and tested all of starter and bought a new battery.  Took to a Hyundai dealership mechanic and they did not have any ideas on problem.  We thought perhaps replacing the key cylinder would finally fix the problem but it appears it not as the problem is starting to occur again.  Not sure what to try next????

judge_roy

...at this point am going to have to recommend that you get a copy of the schematic, a set of wire piercers for testing the wires, both when the problem is occuring and when it's not occurring...with the piercers, you don't have to disconnect anything, makin testing a jif-

7jimmy7
14,645

theirs a reley for that you know,may have dirty points in relay

judge_roy

Jim. dig deeper clue us one or two~

mrmoony
2,550

My guess is the starter is being starved of enough amperage. It may, like the rest of the cars electric system be getting some amps along with 12volts, but not enough "juice". If the starter itself has a marginal ground I.e. loose bolts or even a oily mounting flange, it won't allow the current to go through the system.

7jimmy7
14,645

bobby you know you could write a book on possibles,and create confusion,look at the simple first! and move thrue

Michaelocar
20

Could it be worn cylinders in the ignition switch?

cma901
10

any updates on this problem? my 2013 sonata is doing the same thing

Bunnys3000
30

Our 2006 Sonata is doing the same thing. It will start without issue for weeks, then it will take 20 mins of turning the key to get it to start for a week. All electrical works during the non starts and all fuses and relays are good. Was going to replace the starter but have seen too many on here throwing parts at the problem with no resolution. Will never purchase another Hyundai.

imonefun
0

The ignition lock cylinder and the ignition lock cylinder housing Likely the solution. My total cost with labor was $653.09. On 3/13/2012 at 11:08:11 A.M, under Hyundai case 4758349 (established while this vehicle was within warranty) .My headlights, bright beams, radio and clock simultaneous become disabled and any attempt in the normal course of operating this vehicle to shift the car between park and drive causes a loud grinding noise. This issue corrected itself after another grinding noise when shifting the gear lever into park and the car began functioning normally. At some point out of warranty the vehicle wouldn't start from the ignition. After replacing The ignition lock cylinder and the ignition lock cylinder housing the issues are solved

sonnys231
10

I own (2) Hyundai's, ignition switch failure cost around $500, not counting the cost of towing. The second car is now in the dealer....yes, another failed igintion switch. I give up!!!! two different Sonatas with costly ignition repairs!! Where's the quality control, Hyundais "Mute" on this issue

RAMOS1
10

a small piece of plastic breaks and block the key from turning.... causes KEY CAN NOT TURN...LOCK SMITH that knows this can remove the broken plastic.... replacing IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER (ilc)is not permanent fix.. plastic that breaks is from switch that alarms when you leave key in car.... cost is $70.00 in jax fl.... IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER IS OK..... RAMOS1 IN JAX FL

mikeclemons
40

If the people answering these questions would do a little research they would find this is actually a very common problem with 06-09 sonata and azera. I have the same exact problem and have tried every biy of advice I've found but still no solution. There's even a place to file an official complaint to attempt to get a recall. Unfortunately at the time of this post I don't remember the website.I will tell you what I have done maybe one of these will work for you. I have cleaned the ground contacts for the battery thrn replaced the battery replaced the solenoid and starter and a new ignition switch. still doesn't start randomly. The weird thing is I could drive it casually for 5 minutes and it won't start I can drive it really hard for 3 hours and it will start afterward. its done it in the winter and summer. one time it wouldn't start for 2 days and it was winter. if you figure it out plz contact me.

mrmoony
2,550

Park switch or another safety switch so the vehicle cannot be started in gear might be killing the signal to activate starter?

mikeclemons
40

I'm not sure if that is the answer the times it doesn't start I just sit there and turn the key off then try to start then off then try to start etc... I don't do anything other than that and eventually it starts. Like I've said positive it's not the starter or battery. I'm afraid to mess around with the ignition switch on my own know nothing about the antitheft. Someone told me to check the points just afraid it'll mess with the antitheft system.

mikeclemons
40

Unless of course you are saying the switch is giving the ignition or starter a false signal that it is not in park/neutral.

mrmoony
2,550

Yes, maybe ramming the shifter around a little while trying to start it next time it acts up may yield results.

Paul William Howell
0

I'm having this issue right now. I've tried moving the shifter around....nothing. I put in neutral....nothing. I've come to the conclusion that this car is a piece of crap and the company dropped it in the toilet (consumers) by making it affordable to those that can afford better cars.

Bunnys3000
30

We finally got rid of the Sonata since we could not resolve this issue. We spent hours researching only to find that every blog related to this ended up the same, no definite resolution. Just when we were ready to throw another part at it, further research revealed that is wasn't a starter (or whatever) issue after all. Lots of people paying mechanics and dealers to throw parts at it to no avail. The problem would appear to be resolved only to resurface again days or weeks later. The problem we had was that the key WOULD turn EVERY time, sometimes the car would start, sometimes it wouldn't, the power ALWAYS worked, the battery and fuses all good. Turn the key on and off for 30 mins the car may or may not start, move the shifter around the car may or may not start, reset the battery the car may or may not start, reset the security system the car may or may not start. What SEEMED to work one time would not work the next. Non start happened in all weather, humid or dry, it happened when the car was hot or cold, the car would start consistently for months, then not start often for months. No rhyme or reason. We traded the car in on a new car, told the dealer there were starting issues, got a message from the dealer the next day "whats the secret to starting this? Is it the security system?" That is the $64,000 question. I will never buy or recommend a Hyundai. Good luck to the rest of you!