Automatic 84 Firebird shifting problems

Josh Janssen
25

Asked by Josh Feb 29, 2012 at 08:50 PM about the 1984 Pontiac Firebird

When stepping on the gas from a stop the car jerks when it shifts from first to second but not shifting to any other gear. what
could the problem be and what could potentially fix this???

OrLackThereof
1,135

Jerks how? You said when hitting the gas from a stop.... And you said it jerks from 1-2 shift... Does it jerk taking off AND shifting from first to second? Be a little more specific please but what I'm thinking is a bad transmission mount....you would feel this any time you hit the gas hard, and during hard shifts you would feel a pronounced THUNK. You can test this by putting the car down in 1 (Low) and with your foot on the brake, apply throttle lightly to moderately in spurts to make the car want to lunge a little bit. If it has a transmission mount bad, it will thunk every time you apply the gas.