How do I turn off, disable or remove the "map light" located on the rearview mirror on a 2006 HHR?

SA0328
0

Asked by SA0328 Mar 29, 2008 at 08:15 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet HHR

Does anyone have any idea how to turn off, disable or remove the bulb of the "map light" located on the rearview mirror on a 2006 HHR Chevy.  This light just stays on all the time, drives a person nuts.  Can't seem to figure out how to "stop" it from being on all the time.
Any help, advise and/or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

casper271
4,615

on the mirror there should be a "push" button to turn the light on/off. if you can not locate it, stop by a chev dealer and they will show you. these lights are not designed to stay on

Buh Smith
395

There are two buttons on the bottom of the mirror that toggle the on/off. You might also have a switch (I just bought mine yesterday) that controls the brightness of the dash gauges. If this is set to full sometimes it will turn on the interior lights but this is just a guess.

Buh Smith
395

To further complete my answer before, there is a button on the dash above the stereo, a slider more like, and your is probably "locked" all the way to the right. This locks the interior lights on. You need to bump it to the left just short of "lock". This dial controls the bright/dim of your speedo and dash lights at night. Good luck.

Dawn Moniuk
85

the rear view mirror has two little black buttons. One on the left and one on the right. These need to be pushed in to the off position for the light to go off. If this does not work, then the button may be bad and need to be replaced. Check with your dealer for additional info.

noimaD
245

sounds like you might have a short in the mirror housing, my cousin has an hhr and his flickers , most likely cause the dealer said was from use and vibration ( amp and subs ,go figure . LOL)

Deathwalker
40

To disable the lights on the rear view mirror you would need to do the dome light dimmer switch mod, remove the bulbs, or trace the wire that comes from the power from the door activated switch/s and either cut it or add a switch to it. There is no way to disable the map lights on the review mirror from the doors being opened otherwise. Seriously people who could be stupid enough to not know how to press a button to turn off the lights when the doors are closed.! The Question was "How do I Disable or Remove the Map Light". To remove the bulbs you can use a a PC Nylon Pry tool or so you can pop open the lens cover to get to the bulb. From there the bulb should just pull out. Then put the lens covers back in. You can get a nylon pry tool from Frys Electronics and some Radio Shack's

shewe
75

un plug it

agilitykay
0

shewe...can't believe how simple! thanks! i just unplug now plus turn off the dome light when I work my dogs at an agility trial out of the back tailgate. Before, I ran my battery down. :-(