85RX7 GSL-SE - Sat for 5 years

MB12
0

Asked by MB12 Apr 12, 2011 at 04:33 PM about the 1985 Mazda RX-7

I have owned the vehicle since 1991 and after 2 kids and a move it has sat in my garage for the past 5 years.  It ran great up until then with very little problems.  Now I know that I am going to get the replies that say I should never have left it that long.  I got that but I can't turn back time.  Wouldn't mind some feedback as to whether or not you think I will be in for some major problems with the engine.  I am aware that I may have some brake issues as well as some belts.  The belt actually look fine but I guess that doesn't mean anything.

Just interested in your views

Brian Miller
115

i would actually suggest flooding the engine by hand with dex 3 automatic transmission and lettin it sit for a few weeks or so. automatic tranny fluid in general is both a lube and detergent. so in theory it'll clean out the rotors and loosin up the apex seals. i've done that a few times actually with my 83 RX7, has done wonders for compression and stability. fair warning though. your goin to want to replace the spark plugs after you run it for a while, and when you get it goin it'll pour pure white smoke for quite some time.

hfgslb2
0

I purchased an RX 7 that's been sitting for years, rotary engine. I know nothing about these. It'll turn over and has spark but nothing happens even if I spray gas in the carb. What do you mean by flooding? Fill up through crankcase? Through plug holes? Fluid to where, how to gauge it/amount? Any suggestions (I know clean gast tank, change fuel pump and filter). I'm totally lost on this type car and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

MB12
0

Thanks Brian.....It took me a long time to relize there was a response to my post. I have taken out the plugs. We sprayed/oiled the cylinders. Turned it over by hand and have great compression. We have ordered cap, wires, front are rear breaks. I have replaced battery and all electronics seem to be working, lights, wipers, radio, and 2 sets of plugs. I am in the process of ordering tires (it seems hard to find this size) and if all works well I will be back on the road next week. I haven't had it running for five years (one 25 km drive at that time moving it to our new house) but haven't had it on the road officially since which coincides with the year our first child was born. Must have had something to do with 2 seats eh?! Thanks again for your help. I will let all know how I make out.

250sl
10

I have a 1985 RX7-GLS-SE with 350,000 miles which sat outside from 1999 until present. I brought it into the garage, Added 5 gallons of fresh gasoline,primed the throtle body with a spray bottle of gasoline. It started right away and idled as smoothe as new.