why is my 88 fox not starting what is common with 88 fox that is getting spark and fuel

davman1234
0

Asked by davman1234 Feb 22, 2011 at 12:10 AM about the 1988 Volkswagen Fox

I got the car from a friend it sat three years due to a starter problem. I replaced the grounded starter wires and started the car it didnt want to run it blew lots of smoke black and grey.  The exhaust smelled of rich gas and ran ok at high rpm but sputtered to death once it was warm. Could this be my air mass meter or idle stabilizer (if i even have one ) Is there a common vw problem with sitting cars?

Jon Keachie
755

If it sat that long there could be MANY things wrong lol sorry but they are bad for electrical problems, most likely what you described I'd check the block just left of the oil filter housing theres a ground wire that grounds the ecm that tends to corrode which puts your ecm in limp mode it will run with gas pedal depressed but will not idle, also the temp sending units some have 2 some have one they are common to go under 10 bucks at a vdub dealer change both or the one if only one, they are located on the block where the top rad hose hooks too, they are round with a square electrical 2wire connector usually blue in colour or black and blue if it has two. Also I'm sure the cap and button are corroded wouldn't hurt to give it a full tune up, plugs, wires,cap and button again you can buy all those at a vdub dealer for under 80 bucks. Check timing belt tensioner it could be seized again common problem for a sitting vdub. Honestly I'd start with the tune up, spray some carb cleaner if the throttle body looks gummed up check all electrical sensor connections for corrosion good luck.

davman1234
0

thanks jon ill start with that ground wire and ill change those temp sensors there are two of them one with two wires the other with one. Also i found out that the previous owners where having trouble with it dying on them espescially in the rain.

Jon Keachie
755

Do a full tune up then, plugs wires, cap and rotor that should solve the stalling in rainy weather, wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter either.