Fuel pump isn't running

Gene321
0

Asked by Gene321 Oct 18, 2011 at 01:40 PM about the 1982 Volkswagen Rabbit

I also don't hear the familar sound at the fuel pump (gas shut off ?) when I first try to start engine.  If I jump terminals 30 and 87  pump will run. Help !

Gene321
0

Forgot to mention the years, I have an 81 and 82 Rabbit convertables, both sat for 2 years, ran fine before I parked them now both have the same problem. The 82 was ok till I was jumping the relay the other day so maybe I touched something I shouldn't have.

Jon Keachie
755

Did you try changing the fuel pump relay ? There is also a fuse that powers that fuel relay.

Gene321
0

Correction, I meant to say I don't hear the familar sound at the ( fuel distributer) when I first try to start the engine. And yes the relay is known to be good. After whiggling may connectors and removing all the relays and reinstalling them the darn thing started working at least for a short time so this tells me I have a dirty connection somewhere just don't know where. This is an 81 convertable, the 82 convertable has the same problem, if I jump the relay pannel the pump will run and not hearing the regular sound form the fuel distributer and this car won't even fire once. Both cars sat for ever a year.

Jon Keachie
755

Sounds like a loose/dirty connection behind your fuse panel, common problem for those MK1 for moisture getting in behind that fuse panel and corroding the terminals. Its a big job but you may have to pull the fuse panel off and check all connections and wiring harness under the dash.

Gene321
0

Relay was the problem after all, had put the relay from the '81 in the '82 which I knew worked with no improvement but turnes out they are different.