Engine swap

Hedin Jensen
0

Asked by Hedin Nov 13, 2008 at 06:39 PM about the 1989 Volkswagen Vanagon

is it possible to install the new 2008 Subaru boxer diesel 2.0 engine in to a Volksvagen Transporter Syncro from 89´

Robert Bosch
15

You can but not without an expensive adapter. it is not a bolt up swap. however, you can mate a 911 engine to the VW Bus trans. I would use one with the mechanical fuel injection. these older motors put out way more bhp than the subaru motor and are also WAY more efficient. I found one on ebay for less than what it would cost to make the Sube/diesel fit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/porsche-911-SC-3-0-Engine-Complete-low-miles-1981_W0QQitemZ200275537716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item200275537716&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 Other conciderations are the many hookups with different motor such as the gauges and sensors. This can make the whole project very expensive in a hurry. VW/Porsche are same family, the Subaru is not even a redheaded step child.

Hedin Jensen
0

Hej Robert. Thank you very much for your advice on my rather unusual question ;-) Actually it´s very difficult to do any changes on a danish vehicle without getting my head blown off from the road autorities..but it would be worth the try.. My Transporter runs with a old and sad 1.9 litre gasoline unit with 78 hp and not very much torque, on the other side i was very impresssed about the new Subaru powerplant after trying a Legacy, hat lots of torque (more than the 911 flat six) at low revs, that would fit my car for towing and 4WD driving. One day it will be possible to come across a totaled scrapyard Legacy or Forester with this engine, buy the whole car and start a transplant :-) if possible... I have seen both subaru Impreza wrx engines and the SVX 6 cyl boxer in Vanagons before, but they run on gasoline. Even seen a couple of them with some Rover or Ford small block V8, hehe... Audi RS2, VW golf VR6 engines and many more weird hi-performance speed machines. Funny that VW never on their own made a flat four diesel, so can´t lose the idea about that japanese engine. Anyway thank you for your time, and link, checking that out anyway as i could get an idea with a porsche engine! Greetings Hedin.

Adam Morgan
4,385

google kennedy engineering... They make adapter plates for engine conversions to many older VW and Porsches... See what they have available.

mover
195

hi,. you can have diesel engines for this van. motorcode JX (1,6L turbo-Diesel with 70 HP) or even smaller motorcode CJ (1,6L diesel with 50 HP---- please dont take this) but you should go away from this idea to put a diesel in it. you have to change tank and many more. perhaps you should consider to swap to the 2.3L 5 zylinder that is often to find in the audi 100 on scrapyards. this swap is not too much work and gives you 136 horses and way more torque than you have now with a reasonable gasmilage. this swap is often made and you should find informations about it easily. on top its a not too expensive upgrade. the porsche engine is a great thing but you have to think about that you have to change the brakes too about the way more horses that have to get back to stand if needed.

Diane Ramos
0

I have a 82 vanagon is there a vw engine that will fit in and give more hp